30 minute stretch routine

Options
Does anyone have any idea how many calories you burn stretching? I do an excellent 30 program and I have great flexibility and range of motion but I have no idea what number to use if I want to add it to my exercises.

Replies

• curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued by this as I always do 15mins stretching but don't log it. Do you lose extra calories or do you just continue to burn the ones that you have already burnt from your workout?
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Without wearing a heart rate monitor it is difficult to say...I don't stretch that much until after my workouts are completed, when I still have elevated heart rate, so I'm sure that affects my calorie burn. Just out of curiosity, do you follow a program from a dvd or is it something you've just developed on your own...I'm looking to increase my flexibility, especially in my hamstrings, and could use a thorough program. Thanks!
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    Maybe use Yoga which is about 70 calories for 30 minutes.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Oh and just from my own HRM readings, I continue to burn around 50-65 calories in 20-30 minutes of stretching post-workout...most of my workouts are pretty intense cardio though such as Insanity or a solid pace on the treadmill for a few miles, which would definitely affect the burn post workout. I have a feeling I burn more just from that than the stretching. I know it wouldn't be completely accurate but I do believe there are both "mild stretching" and "hatha yoga" in the database that you could use to get an estimate!
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    You are all wonderful! Thank you so much. I think I'm going to guess 70 calories. Good round number. I have memorized Total Stretch for beginners by Tamilee Webb which is good since I've since lost the DVD. I love this program. She stretches in the Bahamas! I have some incredible muscle tension and pain and neck arthritis which is chronic so the stretching is mandatory for getting that under control. :flowerforyou:
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What stretching routine do you do for 30 minutes? I am looking for a good one to do after running.