Tracking distance run / calories burned??

alison2429
alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi
I am fairly new to this site but it is really helping me to think twice about what I eat and at the same time encouraging me to exercise more.
I belong to a running club and one of the ladies has a tracking device on her mobile phone which tells her how far she has run / how many calories burned - based on her height / weight etc.
Does anyone know of anything like this that I can download onto my Blackberry phone. There are a lot of apps on the Blackberry web-site but I'm not sure if any of them are any good!

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I've heard of those apps but I've never used one and haven't heard anything about how accurate they are. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 405 when I run and it's all kinds of awesome.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Isn't it just the GPS function the Blackberry?

My boyfriend has a Blackberry and it uses GPS. We sometimes use it as a mini navigation system.

For running we just have Garmins. They are great. He's got a 305 and I have a 110. Both are GPS tracking devices which tell you distance, pace, time, heart rate, calories burned etc. His does a lot more and has various other functions, but I like mine simple.
  • I got the Cardio Trainer app for my Droid phone. They might make it for Blackberry! :)
  • backinthenines
    I've heard of those apps but I've never used one and haven't heard anything about how accurate they are. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 405 when I run and it's all kinds of awesome.

I had the 405 but hated the touch bezel. It drove me mad.
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    I have a Blackberry and I don't know if they have one but I use Nike+ and attach it to my ipod. I love it!
  • I have a Droid and I use something called RunKeeper. I don't think it's available yet for Blackberry, but somebody on a forum suggested "SportyPal" for Blackberry users. I don't have any experience with that app, but it might be worth a try. :)
  • alison2429
    Thanks everyone - can't believe I got so many replies in such a short space of time - you guys are very supportive. Thanks I will look into these suggestions. i was trying to avoid buying a Garmin not only to save money but also because I don't like wearing or carrying too much when I run.

Alison
    x
  • backinthenines
    Thanks everyone - can't believe I got so many replies in such a short space of time - you guys are very supportive. Thanks I will look into these suggestions. i was trying to avoid buying a Garmin not only to save money but also because I don't like wearing or carrying too much when I run.

Alison
    x

They are the same size as a big sports watch. Don't really get in the way and aren't heavy.
  • I also use the cardio trainer on my Droid Great app
  • alison2429
    Hi all
    I downloaded an app called 'Runtastic' and it is what it says!! Simple and easy to use...........and it was free to download - even better.
    Thanks everyone.
    :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.