Replies

• clojac
    clojac Posts: 10
    Options
    any suggestions::huh:
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. This is a really healthy recipie I found on www.eatbetteramerica.com. I haven't tried it, but it sounds good. The store bought ones are great 2. I get them all the time.

Hummus
    Make this classic Middle Eastern dip with a collection of everyday ingredients. You can throw it together in just 10 minutes! From eatbetteramerica.
    Prep Time:10 min
    Start to Finish:10 min
    makes:16 servings (2 tablespoons each)

1 can (15 oz) Progresso® chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained, 1/3 cup liquid reserved
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/3 cup sesame seed
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Chopped fresh parsley
    Pita bread wedges, crackers or raw vegetables for dipping, if desired

1. In blender or food processor, place beans, reserved bean liquid, lemon juice, sesame seed, garlic and salt. Cover; blend on high speed, stopping blender occasionally to scrape sides if necessary, until uniform consistency.
    2. Spoon dip into serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with pita bread wedges.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 20); Total Fat 2 1/2g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 110mg; Total Carbohydrate 7g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 0g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 6% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    MyPyramid Servings 1 oz-equivalents Meat & Beans
  • clojac
    clojac Posts: 10
    Options
    thanks for the recipe and I did not know they sold it...does Walmart have it??
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I love Hummus, but I am the only one who eats it. I could have it with every meal. I try to make mine home made with the whole peas and not canned. Too many preservatives in them, plus you can get them at any local store on the deli section already mixed several ways.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001844hummus.php

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Appetizers-and-Snacks/Dips-and-Spreads/Hummus/Main.aspx
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love hummus too, and although I do buy it. I recommend making it homemade, you can control the calories that way. The store bought has a lot of fat in it.
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get my @ Winne Dixe. It's by Athenos. They have several flavors. I get the Original. 2 tbsp. is 50 cal 3g fat, 5 carbs, 1 protein gram and so on. I already added it to MFP and I usually eat it with a whole grain pita. Makes for a great lunch.

I am sure homemade is way better, but this stuff is great for an on the go gal!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I bought some for the 1st time this past weekend at Whole Foods.
    I bought one that had roasted red peppers mixed in.

2 tbls=50 calories

I must say that this is pretty tasty stuff.!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I LOVE hummus and I am definitely going to try the recipes posted here. But I always have a tub of ready-made (easy access = no excuses) in the fridge. I buy the Basha brand (from Costco). It is smooth, creamy, yummy. I combine 2 tbsp hummus with 2 tbsp of salsa and use that for a quick dip for veggies and a spread for sandwiches. I even spread it on my morningstar spicy black bean patties (no bread needed with all that flavor going on!)

I posted the nutritional content for the Basha hommus onto the MFP food database.