Fiber and the gurggles (maybe TMI)

Options
I'm a college student, which means early classes and a pretty limited budget. Recently, I started eating those fiber bars for breakfast instead of bagels because I figured it would have way fewer calories, keep me fuller longer and be cheaper than running to Panera every morning. Here's where the problem comes in...

I've noticed a gurggling comming from my intestines lately. It doesn't hurt, but I can definately hear it and sometimes i can feel it as well. I figured it was something to do with my menstrual cycle so I didn't think anything of it at first, but then when I decided to try the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars it got worse. I felt pretty bloated, was more gassy than normal and though I felt like I needed to go #2 all the time, it rarely happened. That's when I noticed a bit on the box where it said to increase the fiber slowly. I don't have class on Fridays, so I didn't eat one yesterday or today and I feel SO much better!

So I was wondering if you guys knew if maybe I was eating too much of the wrong kind of fiber, and if so, do you have any good suggestions for a healthy, fast way to start my morning that won't break the bank?

Replies

• hotmooglelove
    Options
    Slowly adding more fiber to your diet will help, but ultimately fiber makes a lot of gas. On the plus side, although it's high in volume, it's not a very smelly gas (unlike meat, which produce very small quantities of TOXIC gas) :laugh:
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    If you didn't increase your fiber slowly the fiber will have the opposite effects till your body can adjust to the amount you are getting.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have the same reaction with the Fiber One bars! It's funny (and sometimes embarassing) to have your stomach gurgling all the time. I think the fiber in those bars is different than others and it has a tendency to cause gas. Mine doesn't bother me enough to stop eating them but you may be different. Good luck!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Slowly adding more fiber to your diet will help, but ultimately fiber makes a lot of gas. On the plus side, although it's high in volume, it's not a very smelly gas (unlike meat, which produce very small quantities of TOXIC gas) :laugh:
    The smell comment is true, although I can't seem to get my 13 year old to believe it!
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's funny about the cause of the farts vs the smell. I told my Dad a while back that fiber farts don't smell and he not only laughed at me, he didn't believe me and still to this day razzes me about it. Maybe I'll look this up online and send Mom a link to share with him. Hmmmmm.....
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with going #2. So I started out with eating half a fiber one bar. Its working for me and not as gassy.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars are great! If you do more than 2 a day, you will have issues

Don't ask how I know :laugh:
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! It's good to know that I'm not the only one that's had issues with this.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Watch out for Kashi cereal as well. That's what happens to me with that.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Watch out for Kashi cereal as well. That's what happens to me with that.

Oh, Dear God in heaven, Kashi Go Lean Crunch gets me kicked out of the bedroom! (and family room and kitchen and polite company!)
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, fiber one bars kill me.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water! Makes that problem go away
  • crv021
    crv021 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different and will react to different foods the same way people react differently to medications. Fiber goal is 20-30 grams/day. There are 2 different types of fiber, soluble and insoluble fiber:

soluble - when in the stomach, it turn into a jelly like consistency (very sluggish in nature) so sits in the stomach for a long time --- this is the type of fiber that helps to give one a feeling of fullness, reduce cholesterol (LDL) and better control blood sugar levels

insoluble - when in the stomach, it grows so as it travels down the intestines, anything in front of it it pushes along --- this is the type of fiber that helps to stimulate bowel movements

both are important but will definetely affect people differently; the key is to start slowly and make sure you increase your water intake any time you increase your fiber intake --- hope this helps :)

P.S. on food labels, it usually list fiber or total fiber and does not list out the soluble/insolube (some labels do like kashi/oatmeals/etc...) if I want to know, i simply call the 1-800 number on the box & someone from the company will call me back.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    well then you *don't* wanna drink slim fast - gas in a can! lol
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OMG, fiber 1 cereal is the worst! I have IBS and almost any fiber gives me gas. I should buy stock in Beano.

Something that also helps is probiotics, I get the cheap ones from Walgreens when they have their buy one get one free sales. Just bought some this week, actually.

Good luck. :-)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars + road trip + my 'special' sense of humour = great time for me....