scale problems

Options
so i weighed myself this morning. i then ate my breakfast of one scrambled egg, fat free yogurt, and a glass of water. i weighed myself again an hour later, and was a whole pound heavier than i had been earlier that morning! i'm wondering if my scale isn't working right. i know weight varies throughout the day, but a pound difference in just an hour??? i've really been trying to stick to my diet and stay under my calorie goal, but its like every time i weight myself, i have no idea what i'm going to get. i weigh myself at the same time, without clothes or shoes, and its so strange how much it swings from day to day. is anyone else having similar problems? should i try a new scale?

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing yourself only ONE time a week, as soon as you get up, wearing the same clothes each time. Weighing yourself more will just be discouraging!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    How much did the food and water you took in weigh? That should explain your increased weight.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Definitely, a one-pound pound increase is normal. You had a glass of water- about a half of a pound, your yogurt was probably 6 oz too, and a scrambled egg could be 2 oz. 1 pounds is definitely normal, especially after only 1 hour and your body hasn't had time to move anything through.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day. Do not go to the trouble of buying a new scale, because any scale will do the same thing.
    Yes, it is feasible that the scale will read different weights throughout the day, depending on when you eat, how much your body has digested, how much water you're retaining, if you've gone to the bathroom or not (seriously).

Weighing in the morning before breakfast seems very common for most people. You'll drive yourself nuts weighing in at all times of the day.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I am sometimes only a couple of ounces different day to day, and sometimes a pound and a half. Water fluctuations are the biggest part of it. I don't let it drive me crazy. I keep a chart of daily weights with notes about diet, exercise, sodium, and anything else that might be pertinent, so I might see some patterns, but so far, nothing. It just is how it is.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs a day... your scale is fine.. i threw mine out! I only weigh in at the gym now.:flowerforyou:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Um, do you think that the fact that you ate breakfast and drank some water may have caused the increase in weight? :huh: Why would you weigh yourself again after breakfast? Did you think you would be lighter? Seriously? Your scale is probably working fine. Most people gain a little after eating a meal. Think about it. :wink:
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week.

On Monday morning & Friday morning. After using the bathroom and completely undressed.
    I find I get distraught when I weigh myself more.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Your weight may fluctuate, but relax. If you are doing the right things, the overall trend will be downwards - fight the urge to get on the scales and save it for one time a week, around the same time and day...

Regards,

David
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    No offense, LOL. Weigh yourself at most once a week, in the am(after morning #1 and #2), and naked before you eat.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    One cup of water weighs about half a pound, add in the yogurt and the egg and of course you are going to hit 1lb. You should lay off of weighing yourself like that because it apparently causes a stress reaction in you (in that you are considering to go buy a new scale etc.). Try to weigh yourself once a week, and only one time the day you weigh yourself. If you really can't stand it then maybe weigh twice a week, but I wouldn't keep weighing yourself several times a day.

My math (just for the water alone) Adding the egg + yogurt would explain the one pound gain.
    1L water = 1 kg
    1kg = 2.2lbs
    1L = 33.8 ounces.. Divide by 8 ounces (the amount of ounces in one cup of water) = 4.225 servings
    Divide 2.2 lbs by 4.225 = 0.52 pounds per serving. You had one serving of water, therefore you gained 0.52lbs.

:)