Chocolate sponge calories

Options
I had this chocolate sponge muffin while at work today and unsure what to log it as and how many calories it would be roughly. It was homemade and the only two things I can find on the database is 1 slice of chocolate sponge cake - 52 cals and 1 chocolate muffin homemade - 250 cals. One seems really low and the other seems really high.
How many calories would you say it is roughly/which would be closest? It didn't have any fancy stuff or icing and was quite plain but still 52 still sounds like nothing.

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my mind went striaght to a dish sponge that had been soaked in hershy's syrup...ewww xP lol
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    when I don't know how many calories are in something baked like that I usually go for the worst case scenario. This way I feel guilty about eating junk food and I'm not tempted to have seconds. Also up to this point it just gives me a bigger deficit in my daily calories
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    I would say so with the muffin since it was a muffin and the cake for 52 cal is prob a very tiny piece!
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    Hi, I make cakes for a living and the short answer is, there's no way of knowing how many calories would be in the cake you ate without knowing what ingredients went into the cake batter to make it!

Ingredients can vary so drastically...some chocolate cakes can be made with butter or margarine or even vegetable.sunflower oil
    some have eggs, some don't
    some have added water and some have milk or even buttermilk
    so as you can see it'd be very tricky to work this out!

I'd say as an AVERAGE, a chocolate cake of cupcake/muffin size, without any frosting would be about 180 calories or possibly a little more.

Not sure if i've been much help but i'd say it's better to over estimate the calorific value than under estimate it......either way, I hope you enjoyed it...YUM!!! :-)
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    Good answer!:flowerforyou:
    ......either way, I hope you enjoyed it...YUM!!! :-)