meals and snacks for on the go?

BritLyn
BritLyn Posts: 6
edited September 24 in Recipes
Now that I'm working 7 days a week I'm not home much to actually cook or sit down to eat. This is making it hard for me to eat the right amount of calories a day as well as meals and snacks in general.

So I am asking for your opinions and suggestions on what to pack as meals and snacks. I am out of the house by 730am the latest and home between 8-10pm.

Thank you!

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    I like to pre-pack dried fruits and nuts in those little ziplock snack bags. I also use my leftovers for lunch alot! I just pack them up right after supper. I also keep a pre-made salad in the fridge, and leave dressing in the fridge at work, that always works in a pinch. Plan ahead...that is really all that helps me. If I must eat out at work, I try to make better choices, like a veggie sandwich from subway, or a salad minus all the fattening stuff (bacon bits, cheese). Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    If you like nuts, Planters has some individual packs of mixed nuts! Can you do crockpot meals? Or maybe take some time one day a week and make some homecooked food and store or freeze it?
  • if you have a crockpot you can make up meal(s) ahead of time and freeze some for on the go. I did this with White Chicken Chili, veg soup and others.
  • Snacks:
    greek yogurt
    string cheese or small cheese snacks that come pre-wrapped in a bag
    low sodium beef jerky (learned this one the hard way, regular beef jerky is FULL of sodium)
    cottage cheese
    canned peaches in water (if they are in syrup rinse them off you will save some calories)
    nuts
    protein shakes

Meals:
    Turkey wraps w/ spinach, low fat cream cheese, onions and cucumbers YUM!
    salads are always easy, but mix them up or else they can get pretty boring
    sushi is pretty okay and is usually in most grocery stores as a quick grab (watch sodium though, eek!)
    Chicken sausage links (sold near hotdogs at my grocery store) are not too bad for you and if you had to you can heat them up in the microwave b/c they are already fully cooked. Pair that with some steam in the bag broccoli and you have a good meal.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    My aunt cooks her meals on her day off. She cooks all of her meals for the week. Yes its time consuming but it works out great for her. She then freezes them and just grabs them when she leaves.
  • Rmc8
    Rmc8 Posts: 1
    Sometimes I take a romaine lettuce leaf and wrap it around about 3 table spoons of tuna fish made with low cal mayo or just mustard. A couple of those and some 100 cal packs and I'm good for lunch.
This discussion has been closed.