lower back

Options
I can't afford a gym at the moment and I need to strengthen my lower back as it's beginning to ache more and more from sitting all day.

What moves would one suggest?

Replies

• Swolehamster
    Options
    I can't afford a gym at the moment and I need to strengthen my lower back as it's beginning to ache more and more from sitting all day.

What moves would one suggest?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    get a pilates dvd or a yoga dvd. There are lots of individual exercises that I do that are similar, but really, those work the same muscle groups in similar ways.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would go to your library and see what they have on exercise tapes or dvd's There are a few that do chore muscles, I use the sweatin to the oldies (since I am one) and the second edition has some sculpting in it. You could also search the web for ideas....
    By the way Welcome and I wish you lots of success:flowerforyou:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I would do back raises on an excersize ball w/ a freeweight of whatever you are comfortable starting w/ ...then gradually increasing as you go.
    This type of strength training can also help your abdominal muscles . It's kind of like a backwards crunch. You're just doing them comfortably on a softer surface and on your stomach instead of your back.
  • brockster
    brockster Posts: 12
    Options
    hay mate hows it going a lower back ache can be from haveing weak hamstrings as hamstrings determine the pitch of your palvis when you have weak hamstrings your palvis will tilt forward this intern will put an arc in your spine causeing pain in the spine also haveing weak erector spine muscles these are the two big muscles that run down ether side of ya spine these help to aline your spine to get strong in these parts start of slow with light backraises and lying legcurls on a swiss ball depends on what works for you i do alot of deadlifts and i have never suffered back pain as deadlifts hit your erector muscles and your glutes
  • Kreanga1
    Kreanga1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Brockster, for me I think you hit the nail on the head. I play sports, so I thought my hamstrings wouldn't be a problem, but I went off lifting weights for 5 months and my back started hurting like crazy. Combo of desk job and now I know-weak hamstrings....I will nail some deadlifts. Thanks.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Look up supermans they are awesome for your back, require NO exercise equipment and can be done in your home. Also, try planks. You can google both and get these exercises.. again no equip needed.
  • Swolehamster
    Options
    Thanks all. I used to have a gym membership for years until two years ago. Used to power lift and am not trying to slowly get back into shape before I get a gym membership.
  • jilldan55
    jilldan55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I too have lower back issues. Basically, mine is degenerative disk disease. It's no problem most of the time but when my back muscles become weak.. my back starts to hurt horribly. so, I consulted a physical therapist and he recommened keeping my stomach muscles strong. They make up for what is going on with the back muscles. I tried it by doing crunches and ab stuff. if I stop doing them for a while, my back gets worse again. So, it really is the way to go...
    Good luck!