Heart Rate Monitor Questions

Options
I've never really considered a HRM as something useful, but so many people use them, so I'm wondering what the deal is.

How accurate are most HRMs when calculating calories burned? Are they really that much better than MFP or a treadmill (even when I enter my weight)?

I've tried finding some info about them online, but most sites just talk about their use in staying "in the target zone" and don't discuss the weight loss benefits/calorie counting benefits.

Any info or advice would be beneficial! Thanks!

Replies

• mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i use one and when im dancing or something like that for a workout my calories burned are more than what mfp tells me they are. i think the hrm should me more accurate since it goes by ur heart rate. and when im using mine during workouts i constantly press my heart rate button as i call it so its constantly updated and i get the most accurate amount of calories burned
  • bobblebee77
    bobblebee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well you need to exercises at certain levels to achieve different things. Im just trying to figure this out too.

I have the HRM app on the Iphone which tells you a bit about what zones - Warm up is apparently - 50-60% (125-135bpm) Fat burning 60-70% (135-145 bpm) Cardio is 70-80% (145-155bpm) Extreme (155-165bpm)

These articles may be of interest to you? I use this site in conjunction with MFP as it has a weatlh of fitness info that so far has been quite useful to me :) I prefer MFP for logging and the community tho :)

http://www.livestrong.com/heart-rate/
    http://www.livestrong.com/tools/target-heart-rate/

Hope that helps? :)
  • bobblebee77
    bobblebee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    apologies, I've misunderstood when I reread yr post... and actually HRM are meant to be good - Ive been reading reviews on Amazon and Argos and some on the livestrong site mentioned above. Lots of bods swear by them, Im still uhmming and arrrring as I just love gadgets so not sure if Im just looking for a new toy or if it will help me hehe
  • Lionhart25
    Options
    Thank you for asking that, cuz I had the same question in mind.

Additional to your question is a HRM watch sufficient or do people recommend the belt as well? Which is best for the Insanity workout?