bullied at the gym

Options
This evening I was jogging when a couple came into the gym. The lady jumped on to the treadmill next to me (with 6 open to the left and 3 to the right) and was wearing a turtleneck and black jeans. She literally spent the whole time starring at me of course making me super self conscious. I was at my cool down when a friend who has been having a hard time (partly my fault) called. Instinctively answered only to have the guy of the couple come up to me and scold me for being on the phone. He was so harsh and made comments about my age. I do what I always do: froze and scampered away, calling my husband from the car. I know I look very young but really did he have to talk to me like that? And why does my "age" have anything to do with it?

My DH who has logged A LOT of gym hours informed me that this is common at all gyms and to not take it personally. Still I cam horrible at confrontation and am afraid this is going to effect my gym time negatively. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• SeaShell33
    Options
    so rude! dumb a$$es :grumble:
  • gracemtn
    gracemtn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Wish I was such a sissy.
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would have told the couple to **** OFF!
  • magpie8402
    magpie8402 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they were just being rude and mean. Keep going and go with confidence, but do try to keep calls to a minimum :smile:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Personally? This crap is why I avoid the gym (although, for me it's because I am naturally confrontational and the gym just makes me cranky). But if you are going to keep going all you really can do is grow a thicker skin and tell the next one to go to the manager or an employee if he's got a problem.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    or tell them to go to the manager if they have a problem.......I'm not confrontational either -- my problem is I get so shocked at rude people like that, that I can't immediately think of anything to quip back.

PLUS, WHO THE HELL RUNS ON A TREADMILL IN JEANS???????????? What a Loser!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I know this would be hard, but if there ever is a next time....tell them that if they don't like working out next to others they should perhaps invest in a home gym, or not choose equipment next to the only other patron in the gym. Or ask him if his 'roid dose is making him all ragey....

This too shall pass...if it's really uncomfortable for you, try to make your gym time a different time of day for a while before you go back, and some gyms have a women's only section where you wouldn't have to run into someone's rude, arrogant, self-important husband in the gym.

Good luck! I'm sure you won't have to deal with that garbage again, but if you do, I would talk to personel from the gym, I don't think they'd like the idea of patrons bullying other patrons in their gyms, bad business.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    one word...TAZER.
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would have told the couple to **** OFF!
    HERE HERE!
  • gracemtn
    Options
    I have a million and half things I *should have said*
  • dconner13
    dconner13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If she was wearing jeans and a sweater then it sounds like they were trolling and single you out (after watching youu a bit) as the cell as a single. Go to the manager next time. I learned the hard way....you can't be shy when it comes to your rights!
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    @MobiusMan........lol...Love it!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    That's so rude of them to come up and do that. Even though i would like to think i would confront them i know i would do the same as what you did. What people think they can do that to someone else and not feel bad about it.
  • gracemtn
    Options
    one word...TAZER.

YES!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    At my gym everyone is wearing earbuds for music so who would care if I'm on the phone? and sometimes I am. That sucks they totally sound like jerks.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    THIS just irritates me to NO end! Bullies, young or old, need to be put in their place...I would have LOVED to have done it FOR you!!

Understanding that you're a non-confrontational type of person, I would have told him, show me the sign and I will be happy to end my call. I have never been to a gym where it's said no cell phones or cell phone calls. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having an issue with people using a cell or making a call. Who cares!?!?! It sound to me this couple ARRIVED just LOOKING for trouble!

Hang in there girl...unless there's a sign saying no cell phones....they were in the wrong. Not you. I would avoid them if you see them again, but if there are ANY issues....take it to the manager. DEFINITELY do NOT let this deter you from going to the gym....do you....that'll be payback enough! :wink:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Should've told that woman her turtleneck was cutting off the blood flow to her brain.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let it get to you, for all he knew it could have been a true emergency with kids or something! I would have told him to mind his own business! There is ALWAYS going to be one a**hole in the bunch.. Just forget about it and don't worry about him, he was the jerk not you. Some people have such nerve and can be so rude! He must be unhappy with himself or his life?!