Healthy Recipe Books?

Options
There are BILLIONS of cookbooks it seems like! I'm a college senior and I want to buy my first cookbook! Now that I'm making smarter health decisions, does anyone have one or two (relatively inexpensive) cookbooks that you adore?! I would prefer one with simple recipes, since I'm no chef. :)

Replies

• Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    has simple recipes and pictures and are under 400 cals.

http://400caloriesorless.com/
  • pjfmaui73
    Options
    Thanks Seesaa for the website tip. I'll definately check that one out. :flowerforyou:
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Thanks Seesaa for the website tip. I'll definately check that one out. :flowerforyou:

np
    I believe they have cook books or they say where they get the recipes from so it's a good site all over.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would actually recommend a magazine subscription to a healthy cooking magazine. I'm not sure where you are from, but I find it so nice to have new recipes coming in monthly and some good articles to read (which keep me on track :wink: )

Otherwise I would recommend checking out normal recipes and "lightening them up". Eg. if a recipe asks for 1 tbsp of oil to sautee some vegies, use cooking spray. And substitute in lighter alternatives such as greek yoghurt for sour cream, more vegetables, herbs and spices instead of salt, etc.

It adds an element of creativity to your cooking! :bigsmile:
  • ML72
    ML72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ellie Krieger from Food Network has great cookbooks. Really delicious, healthy and easy recipes. Eating Well and Cooking Light magazines are also great.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Being a chef myself I can say there are healthy cook books out there, but if your looking for cheap ones hit up amazon and search for healthy cookbooks or try your local library , so you can write the recipes down and return it to get more. When i first started cooking that was what I did. It gave you a wide variety of culture recipes to try.
    Always remember if you find a recipe you like but it seems to be made with more high calorie or high fat product, LEARN to SUB them out.
    Dont be afraid to go the distance in the kitchen and create your own twist on things!! it may not always come out right but in time you will get it down and become a healthy cooking chef yourself and for others

I personally own over 60 cookbooks but I never follow the recipes to a T, I read them then create my own spin on them. Or I read over a few that fit together and then create my own dish. My husband gets to be a taste tester alot.. that way Im not eating the extra calories..lol