Self Image

Options
I am a 68 yr old man who started my healthy eating program Nov. 1. I have lost 20 pounds and very happy about that. This site has been a wonderful help. The last time I lost a significant amount of wt. was in the 70"s when I joined WW and went from 220#$ to 150#s. I am a lifetime member of ww and started following their plan before finding this site. My problem is that I have always been overweight. My style of pants when growing up was "husky." So, I have no self-image of myself as a thin man. When I was 150#s I still saw myself as a fat man. Even looking in a mirror I only saw my former self. As a result, I never accepted my new weight and once I moved from a WW meeting area, the weight came back. I want to reach 165-160 as my weight and am dedicated a long-term program of healthy, sensible eating. My fear is that I will face the same psychological issues with being a "fat man" in a thin man's body. How does one develop a new self-image to accept myself as a thin man once i reach my goal weight. Thanks to anyone with any ideas or suggestions or thoughts about how they have dealt with the psychological aspect of large weight loss.

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    This will sounds stupid, but I look at my head compared to my body and I realize that I am thin (or thinner at this point). I lost a lot of weight in HS and still thought I was big, then I'd see my head in proportion to my body and it put it in perspective.

Also, do you have a full length mirror? It helps me to stand back from it and look--- up close is so.....up close :laugh:

Good job on your life journey!
  • gaterbear
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I can see the difference in my face and neck so I guess I will just have to keep looking at that part. When I lost the weight with WW I still saw a fat man in the mirror. I realized later that that must be how a person with a serious eating disorder must feel. :smile:
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bump!