Saggy skin, stretch marks & collagen tablets

cjduckie
cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all =)

I'm struggling with saggy skin and stubborn stretch marks that just won't go away. I realise part of this is due to the fact that I lost quite rapidly and that it will take my skin time to heal, but I've been using Palmer's lotion on a daily basis for about 6 weeks and I'm still not noticing any real difference. Someone suggested I try collagen tablets the other day, and now I'm just wondering - has anyone tried this and what were the results?

Replies

• Congratulations on your weight loss.

The stretch marks will fade out eventually. Drink lots of water.

As for the saggy skin, you will have to build muscle underneath. This involves lots of toning and conditioning. I for one, don't like pills or any supplements, save for multivitamins and protein shakes (which you should take within 30-45 mins of every intense workout).

You just have to be patient. :)
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    i do take vitamins that are good for hair, skin and nail (ie biotin, msm)
  • cjduckie
    Wow - just seen the weight both of you have lost! That's incredible!!! What an achievement - well done!!!

Thanks for the responses - I actually do drink a lot of water, at least 3litres a day... and as for building muscle and toning - doing that too. Just getting frustrated that my skin's not keeping up. I've been reading a bit about these collagen tablets and something I never knew (or I might've but have since forgotten) is that collagen is also a protein, so I guess it can't be bad... might be worth a try. Some people on line have reported amazing results, and I've yet to come across negative feedback... hmmmmm - gonna think about this some more.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    my body still has some stretch marks from having my son over 10 yrs ago, they did fade but they are still there. My plastic surgeon told me that stretch marks will not go away with creams, its skin that was torn and broken under the skin and to the surgace, thats why they look like lines all over our bodies. They will fade to a whitish/silver color but you can not make that skin heal back. The muscles under our skin do but not on the outside.
    My saggy skin did not go back to form b/c I dropped 140 pounds in less than a yr when I had gastric bypass.
    So I had to have a breast lift, tummy tuck done to get all the loose skin gone and tone but even then after removing 15 pounds of just skin from my tummy when he pulled it down I will was left with stretch marks that were above my belly button are now the lower ab part of me.

that is my story but it may not be the same for everyone..
    Good luck
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    I know some people swear by Bio-oil for scars and stretch marks, i've been using soap and glory sit tight and firminator creams, it makes my skin feel a lot smoother and the stretch marks less noticeable (the sit tight heats up when you sit down, its really wierd but effective!).
    Although some things work for some people and some dont. (and the effects of the creams i use may be all in my head, but i think they work for me)
  • cjduckie
    They will fade to a whitish/silver color but you can not make that skin heal back.

That's what worries me since mine are like that. My stretch marks came from gaining a lot of weight very quickly when I was in 3rd year uni - exam stress, comfort eating, binge drinking... taking supplements to keep awake to study, followed by sleeping tablets to try and get a few hours in before sitting an exam - just a really bad lifestyle in general. I've got two degrees and an amazing career now, but I also have the battle scars to show for it. I've tried Bio-Oil, I've tried Palmers...and neither have taken the marks away - they are a little less visible though, except on photos - the cameras flash seems to be to stretch marks what a uv light is to white, lol :laugh: .

I think I'm gonna keep on with the oils/creams, but also try the collagen tabs - I figure I don't have anything to lose (except some more weight of course). Gonna give it a go! Worst comes to worst I may eventually have to resort to lazer treatment, but I don't want to do that until I've reached goal weight and maintained it for at least 6 months. The body is a strange and incredible thing - let's see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.