Morning workout before/after breakfast?

Macacadopai
Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!
I've read a lot about not eating breakfast before working out in the morning, but I always go sleep late, around 1am-3am (i work late shifts) at night, so I wake up around 10-12. If I go running around 13:00 (have my 'morning' coffee first etc) i usually don't have breakfast til after 14:00, which feels like lunch. Is this ok since I also eat dinner later, when I come back home from work. or should I try to rewind my inner clock so I take dinner with me to work, get up a couple of hours earlier?
Does it make a difference when it comes to burning calories? Because everyone says if u work out first thing in the morning u burn the most, but I wake up so late? Sorry if this is confusing lol :D

Replies

• addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    even though you wake up late , thats still 1st thing to you.

I work rotating shifts , so when I work nights I train on the way home from work therefore its the last thing I do before sleeping ( I have a shower etc before bed ). I also just log my food from 12 to 12 , thats me other may do it different.
  • mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    i dont eat until after my work out. i talked to a trainer friend of min about this once. he said its cool, as long as you gp home and eat a protein rich meal. essentially, working out while fasting, forces your body to use its fat supplies for energy, since you havent given it any yet
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Awesome, one less thing to stress about! Thank you guys so much for the help!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Agree with molly. This is called "fasted cardio". If you are doing strength/resistance training, then you should eat some carbs and protein first. I have found that fasted cardio is the only way I burn fat. If I run later in the day, no matter how many miles or how often, I just maintain.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I usually eat after the workout unless I'm planning to do something pretty strenuous. If I'm going to run, I'll eat a little protein before and a meal after. The reason I try to eat after is I'm often hungry after a workout.
  • nikijohnson8
    nikijohnson8 Posts: 24 Member
    In an interview Jillian Michaels did, she said you should eat prior to exercising. She didn't recommend a huge meal though, I think she suggested and apple with peanut butter so your body has something to work with. Personally, I eat half my breakfast before and half after, so I'll usually have half my banana, go run on the treadmill, then add the rest of my banana to a bowl of Cheerios.
This discussion has been closed.