Travels and nutrition

Options
Hello all! Hope everyone is still doing great and keeping on track to help reach their goals. If not then I have faith that you will get back on that horse in no time.

Had a quick question. I don't know if we have a lot of travelers on here, but I will basically be living out of a hotel for the next 3 weeks for work and then a small vacation and need ideas for meal or snacks that will still be healthy and easy with not having really anywhere to store stuff.

Any and all are very appriciated!
Love lots, Jacklyn

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would get one of those styrofoam/disposable coolers and buy fresh fruit and veggies to keep in it. I'm sure the hotel will have an ice machine. Just keep everything on ice throughout the day and change the ice in the morning. You can also keep cold water in there. I did this when I went on vacation to Jackson Hole, WY. Also, another good idea is to keep some nuts and granola bars around.

And don't forget to bring multivitamins!
  • tammydspice
    Options
    That is so hard!! Vacation time I just have a vacation within reason. But for the work weeks, I would find the nearest market, get a cooler that plugs in and buy food every couple of days. Fresh fruit/veg, nuts, berries and have snacks on hand that you like. Buy fresh made salads add tuna or deli meats. It will cost more for sure but hopefully will keep you on track. Traveling is hard, you need to just make the best choices every time you eat!!

Have fun on your vacation!!!
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i will be in the same boat soon. I am planning of eating lots of salads, grill lean proteins, and fresh fruits, since I will not be able to prepare my own meals. My game plan is to also document what I am eating, even if I do not have access to the internet to make myself accountable for my actions. I know my major challenge will be drinks, for they pack major calories.
  • habibti
    habibti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I don't know what sort of hotel(s) you'll be staying in, or what they're generally equipped with, but I travel a lot too (have been in two hotels for the past two weeks at this very moment!) I try to go to the gym at the hotel, and/or exercise in my room. I get an extra bath towel from housekeeping and use that for a clean surface/mat on the floor. I do video workouts on my laptop.

As far as food/snacks, I always clear out the mini fridge. I throw all that stuff in a drawer, and use the mini fridge for my stuff. If you don't have access to that, I would still suggest getting easy-to-eat fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, etc. at a store after you arrive. I usually pack a bunch of the healthier instant oatmeal packs from home - I make them in a coffee mug with hot water for a quick snack.

I ALWAYS take pack a small sharp knife for friuts/veggies/etc. in my checked bag. I also have a little bottle (it was a bottle of hand sanitizer) I fill with dish soap and take a small dish sponge. I like to be able to wash my utensils and cups myself. If the hotel has room service, you can just ask them for a plate, bowl, mug, fork, spoon, etc. without ordering anything. They usually think I'm a little crazy, but whatever ;)

Would it be possible to call the hotel and find out what in-room amenities you'll have? It might be easier to plan your meals when you know what you'll be working with.

You can "friend" me if you'd like, and send me a message if you have any other questions or just want to brainstorm more ideas together :D
  • Jacklynb
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the helpful hints/tips so far. I am actually in a Hilton this week. The next two I am not sure. SO the gym here is great and can do laps in the pool. I brought some apples, 100 calorie snacks, soups, H20 and juice. Dinners won't be awful with salad and lean meet options. Love the ideas about a cooler for my veggies and what not!