Need help please.

Options
I have often read that losing weight is related to making a Mind Body Connection and if you can't do that, weight loss will not be successful. What is a mind body connection and how do I make one? I am being serious. I can't seem to "unfog" my mind. It is so clogged up with crap so to speak.

I am trying to find the right mindset to lose weight, but I can't seem to find it. There must be something I can do. Something to make that connection that I need.

I know how to lose weight, the concept is simple, eat less - move more. I need to burn off the excess calories. I know that, but it's more than that. I need to get my mind there, but how?

Thanks. :tongue:

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Do you have some old pants that you can't fit into? I know it sounds simple but I pulled out some old pants that I couldn't even get over my thighs. I kept them out and tried to get them on every couple of weeks or so. When I fit into those, I found myself motivated to get down to the next size. I also threw out all of my "fat" clothes as I got into my "skinny" clothes. That way, I know when my pants get too tight I have to get serious again.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    for me i think it happened when i lost 2 pounds the first week i was on here it really empowered me to change my lifestyle and focus on me for a change. now exercise has become my priority and the better i feel the more i want to do and getting results really keeps me focused.
    i hope you can find the connection you are looking for :)
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That's a very good question! When I have been diligent at diet or exercise and the results have shown, I get asked, "How do you make yourself do it?" The truth is that I do it when I "feel" like doing it. I can't take credit for "pushing" myself or making myself get up in the morning to exercise when I don't feel like it. I know a lot of people do that and I could do that, but honestly, if I'm not in the mood, it doesn't generally happen. I am usually motivated when I get to where I don't want to be - clothes don't fit, tired all the time, that sort of thing. Or, I'm motivated when I'm doing what I'm supposed to do and I'm feeling the results. So, if I know I need to be doing something but I'm less than inspired, I try to do something. For example, I got tired of exercising at the gym for two hours very early every morning after a few months. So now, instead of doing nothing, I go to Curves. It is a half an hour exercise circuit that I can fit in at different times during the day, so if I don't get there in the morning, I can go later in the day. I had been following, ok, not following reduced calories, and I switched it to more of a low carb with fruit and vegetables.

I don't know how to get yourself in a certain mindset, but I do know I have to have it, so I sympathize with your question. I enjoy reading and getting knew ideas. Trying to keep it fresh. Sometimes reading other success stories works for me.

Good luck, and keep trying to get there!
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My ahhha moment was when I booked a ski vaca and then realized that I was going to get my butt kicked if I didn't make some changes. That is when I found MFP on my droid, I began following the guidelines and working out. With my success came more confidence. I think something has to click to turn things around. I have "tried" in the past, but nothing lasted, this time it has. Good luck with your journey :smile:
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    For me, reading other people's posts on MFP is an important part of staying "in the mood." I browse around on the message boards first thing in the morning while I'm drinking my coffee, and that gets me motivated to exercise. If I exercise first thing in the morning, I'm much more likely to be careful what I eat all day.

My other big trouble spot is the last hour or two before I go to bed b/c (left to my own devices) I can blow a whole day's calorie counting in a huge bed-time snack. So about 8p I spend another few minutes reading the message boards. That makes me want to have a snack that fits in my calorie limit (glass of low fat milk or a piece of fresh fruit).

The other times in my life when I've been successful with weightloss, it was because I was around people who motivated me by being good examples (my first roommate in college, my daughter when she was in middle school and was really interested in fitness and nutrition). Right now, I don't have that in my real life, but thanks to MFP I can get it from all of you!