Eating less than your recommended daily calorie intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Nice thread necro!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Many times I am under... but oh well

NO, not "oh well".

There are many, many negative ramifications of being underfed.

Please everyone, rethink your goals. If you only have a small amount to lose (say, less than 50 pounds) do NOT set it for 2 lbs a week, you will be creating too large a deficit. People with more to lose can start with the higher deficit but will have to eat MORE as they LOSE, believe it or not.
    You need to FUEL your body, not STARVE it, in order to lose weight healthily.

Set it to half pound or 1 lb a week, eat healthy foods, drink a lot of water , and move your body in any way you can. EAT all your calories for the day and you will look AND feel better, I promise!

I am now maintaining at 103-108 on any given day and I eat close to 2000 a day.
  • sml1974
    Options
    I am over 450 lbs. My intake is between 1000-1400 calories a day though it tells me to shoot for 2700... No way can I eat that much when I'm watching what I eat. I'm keeping carbs below 70 and proteins over 100.
  • drfalktorres
    drfalktorres Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's better to look at it over the week, as there will be some days when you may be over your goal and it would balance out. I too am often under my calorie goal, but there are also times I've over...! ;-)
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'm usually just barely under, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm still learning balance and portion control at this point so I'd rather be slightly under ( I'm talking like 25 calories difference ) than be above.
  • yellowbird591
    yellowbird591 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth according to one poster who linked to some research. Apparantly, you have to not eat ANYTHING for 2 and a half days to get to starvation mode!! I think going under a couple hundred cals every so often is ok.

i have seen a lot of research that supports this... i.e. if you look up the benefits of fasting. It really doesn't make sense for your body to go into "starvation mode" if you eat 200 cals under your BMR. We evolved to survive DAYS without food.. not a few hours.
  • Alovett1
    Alovett1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im at a deficit today, but just don't feel like eating. Can't believe I just said that! Yesterday I was over a bit, so I'm ok with being under today. I know how you feel. I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    my goal is 1800 I stay around 1500

If you chose 2 lbs a week, you already have a 1000 calorie deficit, If you eat 300 below goal you are eating at a 1300 calorie deficit, which is way too much. That's just over 2.5 lbs a week, which is too much unless it is monitored closely by a doctor.

Your weigh loss will stall, you'll wonder why, you'll lower it more, you will be sick and starving. You need to RAISE it, not lower it.

Tough love, people. I am not trying to sound mean.
    It's just that half the women on this site are undereating and most don't even realize it.
    Most would lose weight faster and healthier if they ate MORE.

THIS! I just recently found out that even though I dont feel like I need to eat more than 1800 calories most days, I need to in order to lose weight and be healthy. My body is revolting and I havent had my period in 3 months because of it (sorry if that was TMI...but food is important people)

Just to put it in perspective. I am 5'5 28 years old, weight 168 with a BF% of about 27% and need to eat more than 1800 calories to LOSE weight. 1800 was apparently too big of a deficit for me.

P.S. My information came from a health professional.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Does everyone realize this thread if from Feb of 2011 right?