Really, Bowling

Options
I plan on going bowling today for a couple hours and as a joke I wanted to check out how many calories is burns. Much to my surprise, I can burn like 900 calories bowling for 2 hours. That seems rather high to me. Considering I can burn about 250 calories for a half hour on the treadmill. I am sure it is because of how much I weigh right now. Do you guys think the bowling number is accurate it is like a strength activity with a little cardio.

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    It is high! I would not go by that. Bowling is not that intense. Depending on your size I would say 150-250 an hour
  • Irish_Gal_74
    Irish_Gal_74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe you burn THAT many calories as you'd have to continuously throw the ball for 2 hours for to really use that number. If I was going bowling for 2 hours and there were only 2 of us using 2 lanes, I'd log the bowling at 1 hour. I think that is more realistic. That's my 2 cents worth :happy:
  • ksyrnyk
    ksyrnyk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use the bowling exercise frequently as a calorie burner, but not as it reads from the database. I figure each I am burning calories for about 1 minute per frame when I bowl. Since there are 10 frames, I consider one game of bowling to be 10 minutes of calories burned. I am in a bowling league, and we are collectively bowling for about 2 hours. We play 3 games. At 30 frames, I just calculate the bowling for 30 minutes. That feels a whole lot more realistic to me.
    Have fun at the alleys! :smile:
    Kathy
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just cross checked calories burned bowling using healthstatus.com For a 200 lb person it is 276 calories an hour. I think that is more accurate.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely don't think that anyone could burn that much by bowling. You aren't actually active for that whole time. I don't think I would log that as exercise at all, really. Maybe that's just me.
  • janhope
    Options
    If you were truly bowling continuously for the 2 hours, might be so. You must calculate how much time YOU spend bowling-doesn't that make sense????
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    that would be 2 hours of continuously bowling tho. if you are in a group of 4 you are only bowling for 1/4 the time that you are there.

i used to bowl at a pretty high level and it probably takes around 10 minutes per person per game. so in order to do 2 hours of bowling you would need to throw around 10 - 12 games in a session. and beleive me, if you do that (and i have and more) you would most definitely know about it.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Have fun don't worry about calories...Just measure how much your quad is goin' to hurt after all those lunges you'll be doin' :)...
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It seemed very high to me, I was going to figure on 30 minutes equivalent, because there will be 4 of us for about 2 hours. I am so sore from my first workout back yesterday. Thanks for all the info guys.
  • aamiesmith
    Options
    This may help - http://www.bowl.com/Join_USBC/Membership_and_League_Options/League_Details/

I'm not sure what they consider the average adult but for those of you that do not think bowling counts, you may want to reconsider. I bowl in 2-3 leagues a week and I guarantee if you actually throw the ball with some force, you are getting exercise.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I've been a bowler for 30 years. 208 average TYVM! Bowling will burn calories, but not as many as your think. Your body will get muscle memory form the throwing motion and approach, so it will work more efficiently. Burning 300 cal or so is probably dependent on constant motion, not getting up walking to the approach, and the release. I find that sitting farther away from the lanes, and walking around helps to burn cals, and also loosens stiff muscles. Also, and this is important: DO NOT DRINK BEER!!!! I know that this is a prerequisite for most bowlers, league or casual. LOL
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I plan on going bowling today for a couple hours and as a joke I wanted to check out how many calories is burns. Much to my surprise, I can burn like 900 calories bowling for 2 hours. That seems rather high to me. Considering I can burn about 250 calories for a half hour on the treadmill. I am sure it is because of how much I weigh right now. Do you guys think the bowling number is accurate it is like a strength activity with a little cardio.

haha, there is no way. MAYBE if you literally bowled for 2 hours with none of the breaks.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    <--- also a competitive bowler.

I wouldn't trust that calorie output at all, that's very high.

However, if you don't sit down between shots and the lower your average (generally speaking), the more you'll burn.
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bowling can be quit the work out!!! I have bowled league with some and people get pretty worked up about there bowling, you might not think it is that strenuous, but it isn't an everyday motion, and bowling balls average between 8-14 pounds. Add the competitive nature to do well, you could burn quite a few calories, but of course you should leave the beer and snacks at the bar.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    <--- also a competitive bowler.

I wouldn't trust that calorie output at all, that's very high.

However, if you don't sit down between shots and the lower your average (generally speaking), the more you'll burn.

Seriously? You're a competitive bowler? I can't decide if that's hot or not... but I'm oddly titillated.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    It's the balls.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think 900 calories is spot on. Do you ever see a fat person bowling? No, they are highly trained athletes. Maybe your just not doing it right? Ever see a fat person walking? yes. Internet logic rests its case.

129011696083798695.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Seriously? You're a competitive bowler? I can't decide if that's hot or not... but I'm oddly titillated.

Yep, I bowl on a tournament team and in local scratch events. 210-215 ave. on sport/kegel sanctioned patterns and the last time I bowled league on a house pattern I was somewhere in the 230's for season average. With the baby now I don't get to compete as much but I still get out there to do it.

The lifting has actually helped my bowling quite a bit, not for strength purposes but just being shape overall.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am a league bowling and since I am not CONSTANTLY bowling the entire time, I cut back the time. For a 3 hour leauge night I log it as 90 mins....
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    log 10 minutes per game that you play. regardless of how many people there are and how long it actually takes you.