5K times

Options
debuckl
debuckl Posts: 360 Member
How fast should a person training for a little over 2 months be able to run a 5K. I'm running my first 5K soon but I feel too slow. Well from what I looked up online I'm very slow. Just want an realistic goal.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• debuckl
    Options
    How fast should a person training for a little over 2 months be able to run a 5K. I'm running my first 5K soon but I feel too slow. Well from what I looked up online I'm very slow. Just want an realistic goal.

:flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to even be able to make it... not to mention picky on the time :laugh:
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    i have been training for 2 months also and i run a 5k in 35 min. i am slow but i am new at it.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Everything is relative!

Hell, I was just talking to a Cross Country Runner from UofG tonight. She runs the 3.1 miles in under 18 minutes! HOLY HELL! THAT IS FAST! My best for 3.0 miles for the Marine Corps PFT was back in 1993 and I ran it in 17:45!

Try to make a goal. What do you run a mile in now? Say it was 11 minutes (~34 min for 5K). Run courses that are measured so that you can learn to pace yourself. Try to run the first mile in 10 min, the second in 12, and the third in 10 to 11. If you dont feel like running the entire 5K, try doing what I do now. I run 2 to 3 miles, and then walk until my heart rate drops to around 130. I then Spring until it is up to 180 (LOVE THE HRM).

The HRM is also good cause sometimes you have to trick your mind when running. It will tell you Holy Hell when really, your just cruising. I try to run and keep my heart rate at around 160 to 170bpm. The other day I thought I was going good, but looked down and I was only at 150 and my time REALLY showed it!
  • petdam
    petdam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could try the couch-2-5k program, which is working great for me. At the end of the 9th week you're able to run 5 km. You should see those two links, if you're interested:
    http://www.cairnscommunications.com/fitness/couch-to-5k.htm
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yeah, d, times are not really all that important. Plus, remember, in a 5K your competetive time will almost always be about 30 seconds to 1 minute faster then any training or practice times. Everyone is different. the idea is to keep improving, so if this month you do it in 35 minutes, next month you do it in 33 ...etc.

If you ARE looking to improve, the best way to do that is to first measure which part of your overall skill is the choke point, I.E. My legs are my weakpoint, I can run for days with my wind if it wasn't for my legs, so I train hard on strength training, I still do my other training, I just put a little extra time in the legs. Many people are weaker with their stamina, if that is your case, yeah, the interval method works great for that (what tim wrote)...

good luck.
  • debuckl
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am doing the couch to 5K right now. My stamina has really improved, but I am so stinkin slow. Right now I'm only running 4.8 miles an hour. :grumble: My goal is to get up to 5 by the run making my over all time 40 minutes. It is quite embarrassing actually. I think there will be some walker keeping up with me pretty easy.
  • timisw
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am doing the couch to 5K right now. My stamina has really improved, but I am so stinkin slow. Right now I'm only running 4.8 miles an hour. :grumble: My goal is to get up to 5 by the run making my over all time 40 minutes. It is quite embarrassing actually. I think there will be some walker keeping up with me pretty easy.

Slow is Smooth

Smooth is Fast

Fast is Relative!

Running is more a personnal goal. As long as YOU improve... Your getting something out of it!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Are you running on a treadmill or outside? I found that as soon as I started running outside my speed increased. We limit ourselves when we have those numbers in our face - i think it is psychological!

Try going to a track and pace yourself...

I always follow the 12 minute rule for races, if I cannot do a race at a 12 minute pace than I will not do it at all. My 5K time is 8:30 pace so 27 minutes...when I am on a treadmill it is like 35 minutes...
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I just did one last week in 36 minutes. I was the last runner done, but I didn't care because it was just nice to know I did it. I may have been last... but think about all the people who didn't even try, I beat all of them! I am doing a 1/2 marathon in September and can almost garauntee I will be one of the last ones done... but I will do it nonetheless. I just run for me, not for anyone else... well except once a year when the AF says I have to!! :laugh:
  • timisw
    Options
    I just did one last week in 36 minutes. I was the last runner done, but I didn't care because it was just nice to know I did it. I may have been last... but think about all the people who didn't even try, I beat all of them! I am doing a 1/2 marathon in September and can almost garauntee I will be one of the last ones done... but I will do it nonetheless. I just run for me, not for anyone else... well except once a year when the AF says I have to!! :laugh:

Wow... what is the AF PT Test? Is it 1.5 miles?

USMC requires 3 miles in 28 minute for men and 31 minutes for women (minimum pass). Max score is 18 minutes (M) and 21 minutes (F)
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did my last one in 31:26 But I started my first 5K last year and I did it in 42 minutes so really you just have to work up, my next one I want to do in less then 30 minutes.
    BTW maybe to much information but my last one I did in 31:26 I started my period the morning of the 5K. I know ouch!!!!:sick:
  • debuckl
    Options
    Thanks for all the support...I don't feel so discouraged now. I guess I should be proud to be running at all considering the first week of the couch to 5k was hell for me. I still have 3 weeks to train. Hopefully I can get the speed I want.