Oatmeal.

Options
food_junkie
food_junkie Posts: 434
What do y'all add to oatmeal? Before I started counting calories, I added peanut butter, honey, and a banana mmmm --but I cut down to just honey. I am pretty bored with that. Give me ideas! :smile:

Replies

• food_junkie
    Options
    What do y'all add to oatmeal? Before I started counting calories, I added peanut butter, honey, and a banana mmmm --but I cut down to just honey. I am pretty bored with that. Give me ideas! :smile:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and sugar..... nuts, yummy
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    this might sound gross..But I love adding Strawberry Jam or Raspberry jam to my oatmeal:) YUMMY!
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    this might sound gross..But I love adding Strawberry Jam or Raspberry jam to my oatmeal:) YUMMY!

ooo that sounds good!!!! i eat oatmeal every single morning!

however, i am one of those people who has trouble getting all my calories in during the day (if i could, i would take some from anyone who wants some more!!! lol)

but, i am a peanut butter, banana and splenda kind of girl...

buuut!!! (this has a lot of but's and however's in it) i like adding cinnamon and diced apples as well.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal at least 4 mornings a week. I add crushed nuts and a tbls syrup to Maple Brown Sugar packet oatmeal. Yummy.
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    I would add tsp brown sugar/honey, cinnamon and apple/banana
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    honey, rasins, walnuts
    :glasses:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Ooh, when we make oatmeal from scratch it goes like this:

the oats, add some frozen (unsweetened!) blueberries & strawberries at the end of cooking so they are soft. Stir in hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, almond slivers, cinnamon and a little bit of pure maple syrop. SO tasty and SO healthy!!
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Ooh, when we make oatmeal from scratch it goes like this:

the oats, add some frozen (unsweetened!) blueberries & strawberries at the end of cooking so they are soft. Stir in hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, almond slivers, cinnamon and a little bit of pure maple syrop. SO tasty and SO healthy!!

I think I will have to try that.

I sure need a change. My husband loves oatmeal.

:heart:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats. Same thing just cut different. I love the texture better. It doesn't get that pasty texture. regular oatmeal gets. :ohwell:

Anyways I add ground flax seed, slivered almonds or some kind of berry (strawberry/blueberry) and a tad of brown sugar. I only add brown sugar if I ride my bike to work...makes me feel less guilty :tongue:

Another variation I like is the steel cut oats, ground flax seed, scrambled egg whites and a teaspoon of I can't believe it's not butter.

Enjoy....
    Kel~biker1.gif
  • plantlady99
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats. Same thing just cut different. I love the texture better. It doesn't get that pasty texture. regular oatmeal gets. :ohwell:

Anyways I add ground flax seed, slivered almonds or some kind of berry (strawberry/blueberry) and a tad of brown sugar. I only add brown sugar if I ride my bike to work...makes me feel less guilty :tongue:

Another variation I like is the steel cut oats, ground flax seed, scrambled egg whites and a teaspoon of I can't believe it's not butter.

Enjoy....
    Kel~biker1.gif

ok, another good idea. :flowerforyou:
  • brockster
    brockster Posts: 12
    Options
    hi there im like you i love my oatmeal aswell but try to stick to a topping that is low in suger as the suger in the topping tells the pituitary gland to release insulin then any carbs that your body does not need will be stored as fat i have a banana with my oatmeal tasts ok
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    Blueberries! I usually stir a handful through mine - they warm up and it's really yummy (plus packed with antioxidants)! This is my staple breakfast!
  • lk14040
    lk14040 Posts: 90
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal with milk instead of water, and I add cinnamon, 1 tbls. of flaxseed, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
  • huskergal15
    huskergal15 Posts: 102
    Options
    I mix in a bit of protein powder (normally chocolate) and some almonds... very high protein and SUPER filling. And it's like a yummy treat for breakfast.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning too.
    I used to eat it with frozen berries but now I eat it with a diced banana and cinnamon. I don't add any sugar.

I love it!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going have to have to try them. Is oatmeal really good with protein powder mixed in it huskergal15? I always wanted to try it, but thought it would be kinda gross! Haha.
    Yesterday I went to the store and found Quaker instant oatmeal high fiber maple and brown sugar!!! It has 10 g of fiber per packet with only 7 g of sugar!! Its really yum and with a 1/2 cup of 1% milk..its only 220 calories!
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    I add LOTS of cinnamon. I love me oatmeal :)