Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fast-Food Survival Guide

Hey All,
I just stumbled upon this and thought my MFP friends could benefit! If you haven't checked out Hungry Girl you definitely should.

Here's her Fast-Food Survival Guide - http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/1899
Enjoy!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    My best advice for fast food places ---- STAY AWAY!!!! I have not been to a fast food place in six months and I sure don't miss it either. This includes my kids, too.

With proper planning, you can survive without these places. I do visit a restaurant once a week, however, but I make healthy choices and tell my server how I want my food, and I still manage to lose consistently.

Good Luck!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Thanks for info!
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    I took the liberty of copying and pasting it here :) Thanks! great info

HG's TOP ATE Tips for Fast-Food Trips!
    1. Think before you order. You'd Google a blind date, right? Google your meal for need-to-know stats!

2. Value menus aren't valuable to your waistline. Don't just get it because it's cheap and easy to order; you'll regret it. And bigger pants cost more in the long run...

3. Salad isn't always the best pick. The dressing, the cheese, the croutons... Don't assume the greens make it "safe."

4. The fries? They have more calories than you think. Even a super-measly small order averages 300 calories and 14g fat. If you're putting together a low-calorie meal, they should not be included.

5. LOOK OUT for mayo! Seriously, heavy mayo can sink even the most friendly grilled chicken sandwich. And it isn't always listed, so say, "Hold the mayo," just in case!

6. Beware of the limited-time-only offers. The nutritional stats are often MIA. (How convenient.) That special super-stacked burger? It's not worth it.

7. Chicken and fish aren't smart if they're fried. If you bypass the burgers for one of these, make sure it's grilled. (We doubt you'll find grilled fish, so just skip it altogether.)

8. Don't stress too much or feel bad if your meal isn't as low in calories as you'd like. Hey, stopping for fast food is hard to avoid sometimes! Just do the best you can.

Great Picks

Totally trustworthy finds from popular fast-food joints...

McDonald's Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait
    PER SERVING (1 parfait): 160 calories, 2g fat, 85mg sodium, 31g carbs, 1g fiber, 21g sugars, 4g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

This is listed with the desserts on the menu, but we consider it a great breakfast, side dish, OR dessert. Also lumped in with the sweets, but good anytime? The Apple Dippers with Low Fat Caramel Dip -- only 100 calories and 0.5g fat (PointsPlus™ value 3*)!

Subway Egg White Muffin Melts (Most Varieties)
    PER SERVING (1 sandwich, excluding Mega and Sausage varieties): 140 - 210 calories, 3.5 - 8g fat, 490 - 940mg sodium, 18 - 20g carbs, 5g fiber, 0 - 1g sugars, 12 - 19g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4 - 5*

The lineup has expanded! Now your options include the Egg White & Cheese with ham, double bacon, or steak (or sans meat); the Western (ham, veggies, and two types of cheese); the Breakfast BMT Melt (ham, salami, and pepperoni with cheese); and the Sunrise Subway Breakfast Melt (turkey, bacon, ham, and cheese). WOW and YUM! Just steer clear of the fattier Mega and Sausage Melts. (Not worth it.)

Taco Bell Fresco Chicken Soft Taco
    PER SERVING (1 taco): 170 calories, 4g fat, 680mg sodium, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 12g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

Want to enjoy a whole meal from TB without swallowing too much fat? Get two of these with a side of Fresco-style Pintos. Your filling meal will come in at about 470 calories, 10g fat, 14g fiber, and a PointsPlus™ value of 11*. Not too shabby!

Burger King Whopper Jr. without Mayo
    PER SERVING (1 burger without mayonnaise): 260 calories, 10g fat, 460mg sodium, 29g carbs, 2g fiber, 6g sugars, 13g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 7*

"Hungry Girl! I require a hamburger!" Not a problem; this pick is totally acceptable. Add a crouton-less side salad dressed in fat-free ranch for 100 calories, 2g fat, and a PointsPlus™ value of 2*.

Honorable Mentions...
    KFC Grilled Chicken Breast
    PER SERVING (1 breast): 210 calories, 8g fat, 460mg sodium, 0g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 34g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 5*

Carl's Jr. Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Salad
    PER SERVING (1 salad without wontons or dressing): 260 calories, 8g fat, 560mg sodium, 34g carbs, 4g fiber, 17g sugars, 22g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 7*

Wendy's Small Chili
    PER SERVING (1 small order): 220 calories, 7g fat, 870mg sodium, 22g carbs, 6g fiber, 6g sugars, 18g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 5*

Super-Scary Items to Avoid!
    Taco Bell Chipotle Steak Taco Salad
    PER SERVING (1 salad): 900 calories, 57g fat, 1,600mg sodium, 68g carbs, 8g fiber, 6g sugars, 28g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 24*

Wendy's Baconator Double
    PER SERVING (1 burger): 980 calories, 63g fat, 1,830mg sodium, 46g carbs, 2g fiber, 9g sugars, 58g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 26*

Burger King Triple Whopper
    PER SERVING (1 burger): 1,140 calories, 75g fat, 1,110mg sodium, 51g carbs, 3g fiber, 11g sugars, 67g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 31*

Answers to Burning Fast-Food Questions!
    Q: If Hungry Girl were at a fast-food restaurant, what would she order?
    A: A grilled chicken sandwich without condiments or a bun OR a grilled chicken salad without croutons or cheese (preferably from Burger King).

Q: How can I make guilt-free swaps for fast food at home?
    A: Click here for a SLEW of recipes for slimmed-down junk food, including a massive section of fast-food makeovers!

Q: Why are those drive-thru speakers always so hard to understand?
    A: We don't have the answers to everything, people...
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Thank you. I try to stay away from fast food, but every once in a great while I have it. Its nice to minimize the damage. :smile:
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Best way to deal with fast food? Watch Super Size Me. I haven't entered a MacDonalds or equivalent ever since, and I watched it years ago when it came out.