Running

Options
Ran for about 15mins and im dieing lol, am i that unfit lol. Wont do that again.

Replies

• ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    hey!! You did 15 minutes!! That's great!!! Keep at it and add a little more every week. You will be fit in no time!! Good job!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    don't give up, running is a fantastic form of exercise :) it takes time to build up your endurance. i use to not be able to run for 5 minutes! and now i can run half an hour.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    15 minutes is just fine, next time try running for 10 walking for 10 then trying another 10 running. You will build endurance and be able to run for miles soon.
  • jscimeca
    Options
    I would love to be able to run for 15 mintues. I do a 5 mile walk each day and I always start it out by running. I usually can only last 5 minutes or so before I have to stop running and continue to walk. You will get there! Once upon a time I used to jog 5 to 6 miles a day.... Two pregnancies later, I'm trying to slowly build back up to that.
    Good luck with everything, I'm sure you will do great!
  • mzeller74
    Options
    The key is to ease into running. If you jump right in you get hurt and then frustrated. Try a couch to 5k type program and follow it exactly, even if it seems too easy. It takes a little time, but you'll strengthen the little muscles that keep you from getting hurt. Keep it up!
  • FreyaDH
    Options
    15 minutes isn't as bad as you think! And you'll get better and better the more you do it so stick with it. I run quite a lot and I generally run for 15mins then walk for 10 then run again. Doing it like that means you can keep going without getting to tired!
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    First time I went out running I barely managed a mile. Now I'm up to 6. It's all about baby steps. I would suggest that you don't focus on distance or time. Focus on trying to go one block (or telephone pole or blinky dot on the treadmill or whatever works for you) further than you did last time. I find that if I run while staring at a clock or odometer all I can think about is how much I hurt and how much this sucks. But if I run outside where there's cars and people and distractions I do MUCH better.

Don't get down on yourself. We all have to start somewhere, and 15 minutes is a damn good place to start!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Ran for about 15mins and im dieing lol, am i that unfit lol. Wont do that again.

if you keep it up and increase your pace by a minute or so each week you'll be able to run longer, running burns more calories than walking in less amount of time
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Don't give up
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Great job to just get off the couch and run!!! I started running a year ago using the Couch to 5K (you can google and download it). It is a great program and really eases you into running if it is something you are serious about!!! In the last year I have run 6 5K's and 1 10K and will be running my 1st 1/2 marathon in 7 weeks!!!! You can do it and finding the motivation and support is also important!

There is a MFP Runner's thread on here. If you want support and motivation that is a great start!!! If you are interested you can friend me and then find it from my profile page.

Same goes for anyone else on here!!!

Good luck on your running journey :happy:

Melissa
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Crap, 15 minutes running sounds GOOD to me. I have a hard time maintaining a run; I'm up now to running a mile at 5.5 mph on the treadmill (like 11 minutes); I've also added in a few days of high intensity interval training (60 seconds @ 3.5 mph; then 60 seconds at 7.0 mph -- repeat cycle 5-10X). That seems to really help with my perception of what is running fast and what is running hard. Hang in there, just don't give up!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Yeah you will. And longer. Just do it a little at a time. Interval training works great: run 2 minutes, then walk for 1 for the time period of your run. Gradually increase to 3/1, 4/1, 5/1, etc. Just make sure to run when you are supposed to and push yourself!!

Also, get a good pair of running shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running and have them fit you. You'll spend $100-150 but it is TOTALLY worth it. The wrong pair of shoes or a worn-out pair will be a less pleasant running experience and can lead to injuries.

Good luck man!
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just started. 15 minutes is a long time!! I am doing Run 4mins Walk 2mins X 4 and it kills me!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Dont stop running. I agree that the couch to 5K Program is a great way to get started. I started running 6 years ago using that program. When I started I couldn't run to the end of my block. The program starts you of slowly and eases you into it so that you don't injure yourself.

I ran 8 miles yesterday and 4 miles in a trail race this afternoon. I'm working my training plan for my first marathon this May. Best thing I've ever done for my health.

Mike
  • kayelkay
    Options
    15 minutes is a lot for your first time! Running is hard and it takes a while to build up endurance. Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll see improvements quickly.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Last summer I couldn't run 5 minutes. No joke. I felt like dying and I hadn't run 1/2 mile. Now I run 45 minutes plus and I vary it will hills and speed training. I have raced 2 5ks so far and am organizing my own 5k race this spring. It is so addicting! Keep trying! I just added .1 mile each week, starting at .4 miles. I felt so out of shape but it gives you a sense of accomplishment as you run further and longer!