True to me....

Options
I admire everyone on this site! For me, I honestly believe that I would not be where I am after 5 weeks if it wasn't for MFP. That being said, I do hear a lot of people saying that to hold yourself accountable you should have your food diary open. I am not disagreeing with that; however, what I will say is that I am one that holds myself very accountable but I also know that everyone sees this process differently. Some are clean eaters, some dieters in other forms, for me I make sure to stay within my nutritional guidelines the site has set up for me. I follow the calories, fat, sodium, etc... each day. I do make mistakes from time to time, those are the days my update doesn't say "completed diary and is under calorie goal."

For me, this site has really helped me realize how much and what I put in my mouth. I am not a clean eater...I know for this to work for me it has to be a realistic lifestyle change that I am capable of making. There are foods that I enjoy and that would probably drive me nuts if I said never again. I just came home from the grocery store, made healthier choices without feeling deprived, and then made a great lunch and feel full. My lunch...A tuna fish sandwich made with light mayo and on wheat bread. I have always loved these sandwiches but they used to consist white bread and made with tons of regular high fat mayo. Just a little change had my calories and fat from sandwich just where I needed it to be.

Although this may seem like rambling, my point is that we all are different and have to find out what works for us individually. I used to give up easily when I thought I had to eat only certain foods, and do what others do. Now I value everyones advice and input and I tweak it for me. Good luck to you all in your journeys! I love this site and my MFP friends...you help make this possible!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    facebook_like_button_big.jpg
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I know that I can't eat vegetarian or vegan or whatever.. it's just not me! But I do account for everything I put in my mouth, usually before I eat it so I know I don't have to feel guilty for the 2 Hershey mini's or whatever it is I want! The exercise has really helped me gain muscle and tone up and slim down.. and that's making me feel great!

Good luck and keep going... this is for life!!!!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you on here and with my eating habits! I do have my diary open to everyone to see, and I still eat the things I love/like... to me it's a lifestyle change not just a diet... that's why I'm not dieting! I can't handle a diet, I'd get to where I want to be then start eating what I want and gain all the weight back... I think you are on the right track, it's just minor things we have to change and try and stay within the limited calories for the day! You are doing an awesome job and keep it up!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Being true to you is a good way to get moving on this for sure,

True for me is that I can't stomache the low-fat / no-fat versions of mayo, miracle whip, spreads etc. I choose the full blown version and just use less of it, if I use 33% less of it I'm getting the same 33% reduction in fat that I would from using the lighter fat higher sugar version! Do what it takes for you though, that's how you stay...
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Your diary is just that, yours! Open or closed it's up to you!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Everything in my food diary is what I have eaten..no ifs ands or buts about it...this site has been a great tool for me ever since I joined. I know some of the things I eat are not "clean eating"..but it works for me..and I am still losing weight and I'm not going to deprive myself..because the second I do that..I will quit and go back to my old ways. Good luck to everyone!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    facebook_like_button_big.jpg

Amen,
    I've never made my diary available for others to see. You are so right. This is about ME!. I have to do this for me and nobody else. If the only thing keeping me going is others praise or derision I will never be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    It's not about being perfect and making the healthiest possible choice. It's about being better and making compromises that you can live with.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree, your diary is yours, to watch your progress, celebrate your good days, remind you of your "not so good days", and whether you chose to make it open or not is a personal decision. Not everyone feels comfortable with letting others pry into their daily eating habits.

Personally, mine is open, so that people can see what choices I've made, good or bad. It helps me be more accountable when I know that my friends will see how many pieces of chocolate I've popped in my mouth!
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    good subject, I choose to have mine private as to be honest I dont know if I would be so diligent at writing everything down if it was public :( I think I would possibly censor it somewhat. Esp the wines.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    no worries. i am *far* from a "clean eater". i told my friends, listen, i'll eat 1,200 calories a day, but sometimes it may be 1,200 calories worth of twinkies. it works for me. no one on here has the right to judge anyone's diet. if they have a helpful tip, or maybe a recipe to share, that's ok. but to insult your eating habits is neither proactive nor supportive. obviously all of our bodies/metabolisms are different so what works for one of us may not work for the other. good luck:)
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    good subject, I choose to have mine private as to be honest I dont know if I would be so diligent at writing everything down if it was public :( I think I would possibly censor it somewhat. Esp the wines.

i log every single sip of alcohol i drink. it puts me waaaayy over my calories for the day, but it gives me motivation to do better the next day.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I agree, your diary is yours, to watch your progress, celebrate your good days, remind you of your "not so good days", and whether you chose to make it open or not is a personal decision. Not everyone feels comfortable with letting others pry into their daily eating habits.

Personally, mine is open, so that people can see what choices I've made, good or bad. It helps me be more accountable when I know that my friends will see how many pieces of chocolate I've popped in my mouth!

i just think it's fun to see all the different things everyone likes to eat. it also gives me ideas for low-cal/different foods i may not know about.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    Everything in my food diary is what I have eaten..no ifs ands or buts about it...this site has been a great tool for me ever since I joined. I know some of the things I eat are not "clean eating"..but it works for me..and I am still losing weight and I'm not going to deprive myself..because the second I do that..I will quit and go back to my old ways. Good luck to everyone!

agreed:)
  • qcdwghall
    Options
    I totally agree with ya. I just found out about this site and it seems to be really awesome. Today is my first day and so far so good. Weight has always been a really hard subject for me. I have fought it all my life. I am at a point were I just want to give up, but I know I cant. I have to many blessing in my life to feel that way. I just want to feel the best I can. I wish you and everyone else the best. Lets do this.