New Coke Findings (carcinogen)

Options
Steph_135
Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
Hey everyone. I recently heard that the colour in coke is a carcinogen. Has anyone else heard this, or have more information?

I heard it was the colour used in coke, and the only colour I know about is caramel colour, in coke. But caramel colour is used in EVERYTHING from candy, to vanilla drops, to Aunt Jemima, to every other type of dark soda drink.

Is it the caramel colour that is the problem?

Replies

• hotmooglelove
    Options
    Yea, supposedly it is.

The risk in non-coke items depends on how they colored. Some companies like Coke use a chemical process to turn clear sugars brown, thus simulating caramel color, while other companies simply add food coloring.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing. It is the "caramel coloring" in sodas. Maybe they picked that product because people are downing it by the gallon compared to pancake syrup, etc. I think it is in everything, too. One thing to keep in mind is they do test on rats (I think??) and they usually give them TONS more than most of us would ever drink.

But food additives are something to think about. Ever since I watched SUPERSIZE ME and heard that CHicken McNuggets have 50 (i think?) ingredients NOT FOUND IN A HOME KITCHEN I was REALLY turned off by fast food, snack food, and anything else that was manufactured. Let's not forget that the name of the game is making money. THey don't care who they step on or kill in the process. After all, they didn't tell you to eat it every day, now did they?

Stay informed!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    hotmooglelove... (Moogle... as in FF? :laugh: ) Thanks for the info!

reese66... Those are great sites! Thank you!

susanswan... Super Size Me, freaked me out too! I heard we shouldn't be eating anything (generally) that's advertised on TV. :flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    But food additives are something to think about. Ever since I watched SUPERSIZE ME and heard that CHicken McNuggets have 50 (i think?) ingredients NOT FOUND IN A HOME KITCHEN I was REALLY turned off by fast food, snack food, and anything else that was manufactured. Let's not forget that the name of the game is making money. THey don't care who they step on or kill in the process. After all, they didn't tell you to eat it every day, now did they?

Stay informed!

Exactly! And guess what? The FDA doesn't do much to protect us from toxic chemicals in our foods. They keep approving genetically engineered crops, artificial sweeteners made with chemicals that are on the EPA's list of most toxic chemicals, etc. Government officials who are supposed to be protecting us have more often than not worked for the companies whose products are the most dangerous. It's an incredible conflict of interest and we're the ones who pay for it with our health.