Lite frosting.....

Options
I'm proud to say that since I started MFP a little over a month ago I have been staying on track and really making some great progress. My success has inspired all the rest of the women (all 4 of them) in my office to get serious and start taking better care of themselves as well. Here is the dilemma......tomorrow is our first "office birthday" since we have all be watching our diets closer. I'm in charge of bringing the cake and I have been fretting about it all morning. I could easily whip us some light dessert but for crying out loud....IT'S HER BIRTHDAY!!! Everyone deserves a CAKE on their birthday! Making the cake itself wasn't so much the dilemma. There are great low sugar or no sugar cake mixes on the market, and with the trick of adding a can of diet soda in place of all of the oil, eggs, and water you can make a cake with a fairly low amount of calories. BUT FROSTING....???! Now that's another issue. I baked the cake this morning and it's been sitting on the counter taunting me ever since. I scoured through all of my cookbooks to try and find a light version but to no avail....nothing. THEN......I remembered a sweet summertime treat that my mom used to make for us when I was a child. Every June when it was strawberry season, my mom would send us up the road with a measuring cup and tell us not to come back until we had a cup of wild strawberries. (Anyone who has ever seen wild strawberries knows this can sometimes take a while). While we were gone, she would bake a cake. When we got back she would use the strawberries that we picked to make berry fluff to frost the cake with. Oh man....those were my FAVORITE cakes! And now since we lost my mom a little over a year ago, the memories of those summer days are even sweeter. Anyway....it dawned on me....FLUFF!!!!!!!!!! That's what I can frost this cake with!!! I lightened it up by using Splenda for part of the sugar. Here it is people. I hope you enjoy it as much as I always have. (A little hint - we always covered and refrigerated the cake after it was frosted) I can't wait to take this to work tomorrow!!!

1 egg white
1/4 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Splenda
1 C. berries

Whip with mixer until stiff peaks form. This makes a massive amount of fluff to frost a cake or cupcakes.

Replies

• Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    HaHaHa....sorry people. I should have posted this under recipes and not food and nutrition. I hope this doesn't re-create the drama that was going on here yesterday for people posting things under the wrong topics....hehehehe:blushing:
  • karri_rebekah
    Options
    mmm, that sounds so good!
  • MrsBehaving
    MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! *writing it down now* :wink:
  • Charli666
    Options
    that sounds so good!!

i've never heard of the way you do the cake before, any chance you can post more details for the cake too?
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    Oh sorry....the cake. You can use any boxed cake mix. For valentines day I used the Pillsbury no sugar variety and made chocolate cupcakes for my kiddo's, but it'll work with any cake mix. All you have to do is empty the cake mix into a mixing bowl and add 1 can of diet soda. (Or 1.5 Cups if you only have a 2 liter). No need to add any of the other ingredients on the back of the box.....just the soda. Mix and bake according to the package directions!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bump :) and i really wud like to know more on the low-fat/cal cake :)
  • Charli666
    Options
    that sounds incredible thanks, i think i'm going to have a treat next weekend :)

x
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump