what stores can I buy cheap free weights?

Options
I am going to add the shred to my routine and I think I need 5 pounders to start off. I'm thinking I might go to target or wallmart or somewhere, I don't know which place has the cheapest weights, all I know is they can get expensive and poor me wants a good deal!

Help!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I would start @ Walmart, or thrift stores?
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    walmart
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I found weights at Wally World for $3 each...They were only 3lbs but thats what I felt comfy starting with. The 5lbs were a little higher not much.

I just got shred $9 at Wally World...I started the first day and my knee gave...Been having a bit of problems with it. Hoping to get back to it starting this week. FYI Jillian Micheals is a direct decendant of Hitler :P She's awesome haha
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    craigslist, definitely!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Walmart is a good choice.
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I got some pretty cheap from Target a couple of years ago but noticed they were on sale the other week.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    walmart or kohls if you have one in your area
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    secondhand definitely!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I saw a pack of free weights from Jillian Michaels that included a carrying case for about $40 at WalMart. That is about the cheapest I have seen when it comes to a set. I don't look at buying them individually & am asking for this for my birthday in 2 months.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    For "Decent" weights locally I pay $1 a lb buying them new, or I can hit the thrift stores where I'm looking for a blender with a detachable base for my mason jars and cast iron pans anyway and get a 5 or 10lb weight for a buck or two.

Craigslist, kijiji, yardsale season is coming up, tons of folks ditching their weight equipment after a winter of inacitvity, I'll be watching these for more mason jars too :)
  • julie4760
    Options
    if allelse fails try ebay
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    if you have Ocean State Job Lot they have nice hand and free weights cheap
  • mandykasase
    Options
    i just ordered shred on amazon but i can't afford weights so i'm going to make some. I'm using empty water bottles and filling them with pebbles or gravel. that way i can make them hevier or lighter whenever i want without shelling out for new ones. Just a thought.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I buy them as I need them from Walmart. They are not the expensive that way, and I like them.

If you really want them cheaper, check craigslist. Especially now, I imagine all the people who made new years resolutions and then gave up might be getting ready to start selling the stuff they bought a couple months ago. I've heard that happens a couple months into the year. :)

Shred is tough. I don't know what sort of strength training you typically do, or how strong you are, but you might want to start off with 3 lb weights, and if those seem too light move up to 5 lb.

Also, when I'm doing DVD's, there are some moves I can do with 5 lb weights, and there are some moves that I switch to 3 lb weights for, and then there are some I can do with 8 lb weights. So I always like to have a variety of weights available to me so that I can swap them out to challenge myself more when appropriate. I have four sets of weights, they are 2, 3, 5, and 8 lbs. Each time I feel like my heaviest set is getting too light for some of the moves, I buy the next set up.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Just throwing it out there that I walked past two gyms in DC last night that had a sign out front held down by free weights.

If you are the nefarious type, sounds like you could get a great double entendre there on some "free" weights.
    -wtk
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    Just throwing it out there that I walked past two gyms in DC last night that had a sign out front held down by free weights.

If you are the nefarious type, sounds like you could get a great double entendre there on some "free" weights.
    -wtk

hahahah
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    i just ordered shred on amazon but i can't afford weights so i'm going to make some. I'm using empty water bottles and filling them with pebbles or gravel. that way i can make them hevier or lighter whenever i want without shelling out for new ones. Just a thought.

You took the words outta my mouth!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If you have a freecycle in your town, and most do, you can sign up and request some for nothing. I have seen treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, you name it. You can also request exercise tapes, the best way to get them in my opinion.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you're paying over $1/lb for iron weights, you're getting ripped off. I bought 400lbs of free weights and a 45lb olympic bar off craigslist for $75. The rubberized weights are a bit more expensive, and serve a purpose if you have delicate flooring or just want that grip. Local place around my house sells all weights for $1/lb for plain iron weights. Best thing is they have kettlebells and dumbbells all the way up to 120lbs, my wife hates the place.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    http://www.freecycle.org/

Here is the link for free cycle. Check it out. Instead of throwing things away or keeping them in your basement forever, give them away. Cool concept.