Protein for a Vegan

Options
New gal at the gym. Needs to up her protein.
Vegan
No dairy
no eggs
Suggestions?

Replies

• mmelaragno
    Options
    How about hemp seed? I'm a vegetarian and was told to use hemp seed as it has amino acids and the closest thing to meat protein that you can get without eating meat. It has about 12 grams of protein per serving and you can put it on anything. I usually split it up between my lunch and dinner.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein that some people don't think about. 8g per serving. I do a pilaf with toasted nuts.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great for vegans, as it is a complete protein.
  • gmille39
    Options
    A nice steak, medium well.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Vegan protein powder is definitely out there!
    soy yogurts?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Whole grains
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Soy
    alternative 'dairy' products.

I was a vegan for 4 years...feel free to PM me (I'm still a vegetarian...have been all 26 years).
  • Teeeravis
    Options
    I've had good luck with Pea protein in the past, purchased off Amazon...Granted it will come at a premium, but it's worth it (the taste can be kinda gnarly though, heads up).
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for 4 years...feel free to PM me (I'm still a vegetarian...have been all 26 years).

Were you born into a veg family?
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meat substitutes like TVP (textured vegetable protein), tofu, seitan (wheat-meat), and tempeh?

Other sources are:
    beans and legumes
    nuts
    other soy products with soya protein like soy milk
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Were you born into a veg family?

Nope, lol. They love their meat...but I refused even as a baby to eat it. I didn't eat poultry until I was 8 and then gave it up again when I was 10.