I want a new lifestyle!

Options
I see daily from my laptop and from the tv ways people are keeping healthy and living longer. I reciently lost my dad and took a turn into depression. I then noticed that I have a great man and loving family who need me not to be in a slump. I looked at my body and relized I had be so comfortable eating and sitting around that my weight was affected. I hear all the time that "your not fat" you look fine" but I love who I am but I do not love that I keep moving my nice cloths back in my closet to accomidate the new bigger cloths. Its time for a change. I am going on my first vacation with my boyfriend in may and would like to have some change physically by them. I know loosing weight will take longer but I would like to walk down the beach without getting tired. I am currently 183lbs and its all in my hips and butt and stomach of course. I am 5'4 and according to reports I am severly overweight. I am afraid of going to the gym for fear of people looking at me and I do not get out of my apartment that often. I bought the kinect and have been playing with that pretty often. I do not eat that much and some say that is the reason. I am aparently storing the food like a bear and thus keeping the weight!!! yeah for me. I like being compared to a bear. not. I cannot take and stimulants or want to. all I need im modivation. :wink:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the gym. I guarantee that a)there are people bigger than you and b) most of the weightlifters are looking at themselves.

Just start. Try eating more healthily and walk more. Take the stairs instead of the escalator. Once you start and begin to see progress, it will drive you to continue. There are numerous people on this website alone that have a bigger weight problem than you do and they are working hard and focusing so they can feel better and be healthy.

You have taken the first step already. Good for you!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi amandayoakley,
    Don't trust people to tell you whether you look chunky or not... it's all about how you feel in your skin, not how others perceive you. It's likely that your metabolism has slowed a lot with age and sedenetism. If you make it a goal to get up and move 1 hour every day, your metabolism will increase (and, very likely, your appetite, so watch out!). If you're very used to being sedentary, it may be a bit tough to start this new lifestyle. Stick through it though! The more you exercise, the easier it becomes. The endorphine kick will help your mood, too.
  • glaciergirl1966
    Options
    I also recently lost my father, and my mother is now elderly and ill. So, I too went through depression, and eating healthy foods and exercising really has made me feel better. I still struggle with junk food that calls out to me, but by keeping a journal and writing down my thoughts a couple of times each day instead if shoving food into my mouth it has helped. I put my scale in the basement -- I refuse to weigh myself because then it will turn into something about the number instead of just feeling good. The scale is my worst enemy and drags me down emotionally.

Good luck -- stay strong. You are worth it - we all are.
  • 008Lizzy
    008Lizzy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Take a deep breath, and BELIEVE!!
    You CAN do it!
    I too have a target of May, and my stats arent much different from yours, and I fully intend to be on that beach!
    I too do not eat enough, I started my diary here 15 days ago, and I have lost ten lbs already simply by religiously weighing and itemising every food, and also, doing DVD workouts at home EVERY night without fail I LOATHE exercise, am not sporty (wish I was) but I do know, diet + exercise = body , thats it, no magical cure, no pills, supplements, anything are going to do the trick.
    Do it for YOU, go buy that bikini and be determined to get into it.
    I dont know if this helps, but I find hypnosis cds very good for focusing. I am from UK and love Paul McKennas. He makes you THINK yourself slim, and in your head, you need to get that "slim you" picture.
    If you can focus, AIM at that goal and dont let anything stop you. SEE yourself on that beach, see yourself wearing that nice outfit, and every day work towards it. You have loads of time to make a difference. Set yourself little targets at first, dont think too big a picture right now, one step at a time, and soon...before you know it you will be on your way!
    Good luck!!! Go to it!! :flowerforyou:
  • amandayoakley
    Options
    Thank you.