consume calories even if thrown up?

Options
Yesterday my husband and I went out to dinner while we were on a romantic ski get away. Needless to say I had a portabella mushroom sandwich, fries, beer and a yummy chocolate brownie dessert to share with him. We went back to the condo we were staying at and went to bed. About 3 hours later I woke up with terrible stomach cramps and nausea. An hour later woke up, throwing everything up. My assumption is that it was food poisoning. I just don't know how to track those calories if they still count or not since I had thrown up. Does anyone know?

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say they count and I hope you are feeling much better.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    after that length of time you would have absorbed a fair bit of the calories so i'd just count them...if you throw up within about 20-30 minutes its would be a different matter. Hope you're feeling better soon
  • Inkedsquid
    Options
    My guess is it would depend on how long the food was in your system before you threw up. It's funny that you posted this because I was wondering the same thing this morning when I threw up my breakfast....I have NO idea what made me so sick so quickly, but I was eating and then halfway through my meal I had to run to the restroom to throw up. Ugh.

Your body absorbs nutrients (and calories) from food while it is being digested, so my guess is, the longer the food is in your stomach digesting, the more calories you absorb.

I'm hoping someone sheds some light on this for you, because I did NOT count those calories this morning, but the food was only in my stomach for 5 minutes max.

Feel better!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Much of that would have been digested already. At least the quickly absorbable stuff like simple carbs and the like, so just leave it.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    My guess is it would depend on how long the food was in your system before you threw up. It's funny that you posted this because I was wondering the same thing this morning when I threw up my breakfast....I have NO idea what made me so sick so quickly, but I was eating and then halfway through my meal I had to run to the restroom to throw up. Ugh.

Your body absorbs nutrients (and calories) from food while it is being digested, so my guess is, the longer the food is in your stomach digesting, the more calories you absorb.

I'm hoping someone sheds some light on this for you, because I did NOT count those calories this morning, but the food was only in my stomach for 5 minutes max.

Feel better!!!!

This sounds a bit like morning sickness!!! Any chance ur pregnant??
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Very little is 'absorbed' in the stomach. A lot of digestion doesn't even happen there. There is principally protein and carb breakdown to a mush but not absorption and it is not until the small intestine that 85% of absorption and most of digestion happens.

Still, time-wise, I'd say a 20-30 min is probably close. Depends on how much solid, how much liquid, and content of said food.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I would leave them there, move on and concentrate on getting better if you're still feeling poorly.

Food poisoning is not nice! :flowerforyou:
  • Inkedsquid
    Options

Feel better!!!!

EEK!!!!! lol no, I haven't done the deed for 3 months now, so I'm sure I would know if I was. Thanks for giving me a good scare though with the P word :-P
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Might wanna find out for sure :- )
  • Inkedsquid
    Options
    awwwww man....now I'm paranoid :(
  • JEMcK
    JEMcK Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I went ahead and put the calories in, lucky for me I skied for 5 hours and gained back 2200 calories so I didn't over do it!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Feel better!!!!

yes, I agree. I had flashbacks as I was reading this. I couldn't open my eyes in the morning without reaching for a bucket. Sometimes the feeling would wake me up it was so bad. Thankfully daddy had all the cravings in the first 3 months. lol
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    awwwww man....now I'm paranoid :(
    sorry, but it is possible to have it happen even in your scenario. Some people don't even have a clue for that long depends on how high your hormone level gets and if you're dieting, it could be lower to start with. I usually knew before the next cycle. Thank god those days are over.

As mentioned before, you should get tested just to be sure. You definitely don't want to be dieting if you're feeding two!!
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I just threw my breakfast up within 5 minutes of eating it. Does that count?!

Also, should I retake the vitamins I took before I ate my breakfast?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Ignore the calories and eat something sensible and healthy if you're hungry (and if you can). There are more important things than one or two days' weight loss - and keeping your body strong to recover from food poisoning is one of them. Been there, done that, and you'll probably need to be pretty flexible with your diet for the next couple of days just to get your strength back.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've thrown up my breakfast due to not eating fast enough after taking vitamins.
    I still logged the breakfast though. I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Anyway if you're sick don't worry about counting calories just feel better! =]
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Or you could just not worry about the calories, since you're sick. That's what I would recommend. Heal your body, and then get back to caring about calories.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Feel better!!!!

Oh my gosh, I was thinking the same thing. :smile:
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    Sorry, it was me that brought up this old thread. I was googling for info and I saw this thread.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd say they count! Feel better x