Anyone out there with Polycystic Kidney Disease??

Options
2»

Replies

• cydulrich
    cydulrich Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, My husband has PKD, he is now 59 and was diagnosed in 2003. He has never been on dialysis and so far is doing very well. He had an advantage when he was diagnosed, he is allergic to milk and has not eaten any milk products since he was 20. We were informed while he was in the hospital that milk products and the bovine protein are detrimental to people with PKD. He does have very high blood pressure and is on meds for it. He drinks a lot of water daily and is fairly active. In 2005 he had a quad by-pass due to a genetic problem, and because of his PKD, he was only given blood thinners through the surgery itself and a Nephrologist was in the operating room during the surgery monitoring his kidney function. He refused to have stents put in and opted for the by-pass because of the PKD and the damage that blood thinners do to healthy kidneys, let alone damaged ones.

I wish everyone here with PKD the best. It is such an unknown condition that is not in the public eye that there are times that I think our friends believe we are making it up.