Net Calories

Options
Hi if I eat 1200 cals a day and burn off 450 cals that takes me down to 750 should i stop there or try and get back up to 1200 and if so what is an acceptable closeness if i dont quite make it? Ps it just seems you would have to eat an awful lot!

Replies

• mt73056
    mt73056 Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi if I eat 1200 cals a day and burn off 450 cals that takes me down to 750 should i stop there or try and get back up to 1200 and if so what is an acceptable closeness if i dont quite make it? Ps it just seems you would have to eat an awful lot!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Net calories are what you are after.

There are lots of posts re: this. I just bumped one called "newbies please read me 2nd edition" that you might find informative.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Can you drive your car on fumes? Because that's what you're trying to do with your body right now.

Not only should you eat your exercise calories but you should not be eating just 1200 calories a day! That is WAY too little.

I've cut and pasted a post by Tim below that puts it very simple and plainly. You might benefit from reading it.

Holy Hell - I am SICK of hearing of 1000 to 1200 calories!

The BMR of a 25yo female, that is 5'0", and 105lbs is 1270 calories. If she is a normal active person, throw on another 300 to 500 calories depending on her job and life style.

The BMR of a 21yo female that is 4'6", and weighs 75lbs is 1125 calories.

The BMR of a 35yo female that is 5'10" and weighs 180lbs is 1594.

The BMR of a 38yo male that is 6'2" and weighs 190 is 1959 (mine). I have a moderate activity level so use about 500 more calories per day.

Can we get to the point that 1000 or 1200 ONLY works for a VERY small population of people and SHOULD not be mentioned! Especially in forums where we dont know each other size and weight!!!

The 1200 calorie minimum is BS! We all work out HARD to GAIN muscle and LOSE fat and end up losing WEIGHT! You can lose weight by losing Muscle. But those muscles are your little factories to raise your metabolism and BURN more calories EVERYDAY! If you put your body in starvation mode, your going to end up losing Muscle (easier to burn than fat and your body is storing for the long haul of "my owner may never feed me enough again").
    [unquote]