Homemade Low Calorie Gelato

Options
jhardenbergh
jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
My wife had this idea to make gelato that we can have as one of our snacks it is ridiculously delicious, Here's the ingredients and the recipe

We had strawberry but you could do it with any fruit

1 cut chopped frozen strawberries

3 tsp or packages of splenda or any other sweetner, depending on the fruit you might not even need it

4 tsp of water

1. thaw out strawberries for 15 seconds in microwave (they shouldn't be fully thawed just a little bit easier to chop)

2. empty 3 packages of splenda in a small bowl and add water

3. empty half cut of strawberries into manual food processor (my wife sells pampered chef so she had one, if not I am sure they are not that expensive at your local target or walmart

4. Chop the 1/2 of strawberries not fully just for about a minute or two (good workout too)

5. Dissolve splenda in the water (microwave for 15 seconds

6. Pour rest of strawberries and water into the manual food processor and chop until you like the consistency.

Very delicious tastes like the real thing, I will next try watermelon/strawberry or strawberry kiwi. I will have to see how many calories but it's only 1 cup of strawberries.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That sounds really yummy and easy - thanks!
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    I forgot to add make sure it is unsweetened strawberries, I just checked and it is 77 calories not bad and the perfect way to end a dinner, considering a medium banana is 105 calories and 3 oz of red grapes is 57 calories and neither are close to be as filling
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    This sounds more like a fruit sorbet than gelato (but delicious nonetheless!)
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    This sounds more like a fruit sorbet than gelato (but delicious nonetheless!)

I must have mispoke, I don't really know what either are, would it be gelato if you processed it to almost liquid and refroze it, it kind of tasted like an Italian Ice but much more thicker and filling
  • khardenbergh
    Options
    It's more like an italian ice, this is a modified Pampered Chef recipe.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    gelato is more ice cream like. Sorbet is more on the frozen smoothie/popsicle side.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Bump