Strenght Training - What the heck am I doing?

Options
I have had a Weider Home Gym System in our basement for a number of years and, now that I am starting to lose some fat, I want to start circulate some strength training into my workout regimen. I especially want to work on upper body - arms, shoulders, chest, and back. Specifically, I have this horrible "wing" between my tricep and armpit that NEEDS to go.

My problem is that I have NO IDEA how to use this thing in proper form. The gym system has a lat bar, butterfly and what I would call a bench press bar.

Can anyone offer some assistance on some things I can do with this equipment? As it stands now, I can only come up with enough "moves" and reps to use it for about 15 minutes. I doubt that's enough to lose my wings by summer :-)

Thanks for your tips!!!

Replies

• skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to explain how to use something like that without a demonstration. The area you want to target would probably include exercises like lat pull-downs, triceps press-downs and seated row(if it has that). You should find some demonstrations on lie. Either Google it or look at e-how to see how it's done. Word of warning though, never do lat pull-downs behind your head, only in front or you will screw up your shoulders (I know from experience!)
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    its hard for someone else to tell you by words...you have to see it...my advice is go on youtube and search it. there are tons of videos about strength training and the correct form etc. you will be fine xx
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Would it be worth it to hire a trainer for a couple of sessions? I think that would be the safest thing to do in my opinion.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with the machine you have. You can look here http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begstrength.htm for some stuff. In this case google and youtube are you friends.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a complicated peice of equiptment.. maybe you could invest in some dumbbells? There are so many great exercises you can do with dumbbells.. I picked up some 15lb dumb bells at walmart for days I might not make it to the gym.. they were only 13 bucks a peice. The lighter ones are cheaper as well, maybe start with 8lbs. :flowerforyou:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    my weider machine has a big poster it came with and it has like 100 exercizes on it. A lot of them for the arms I can usually do an hour worth with this system, but it's hard to explain what I do. I agree with going online and googling exercizes......like google each muscle (tricep, bicep, etc)
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try you tube it seems like they have something for everything
  • treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback...looks like I have some research/youtubing to do :-)