90 lbs lost in 3 years

Options
This is such a glorious time for me, I'm 90lbs lighter than I was three years ago. When I graduated high school I was 175 lbs and by my third year in college I'd ballooned up to around 250. I couldn't even remember being small anymore and just wanted to at least be under 200 lbs once more. I thought it was a pipedream and impossible. However, finally I changed my diet in 2008 and became a vegetarian and then a vegan a year later. I lost 50 lbs in those two years and then last February I had been halted at around 200 lbs for pretty much 8 months. So, I finally kicked things into high gear, joined up with MFP and started doing P90X. Since then I still do P90X videos, but also a slew of other workout videos and free form exercises to keep me losing weight.

Today I settle around 158-161 lbs on a 5'9" frame. I never thought I'd get this light but I am more than pleased and now I'm here, I think I can stand to lose another 5-10 lbs to get to a good lean six pack that I've never had before. Let's hope I can do this.

Here is me at my heaviest:
Heaviest.jpg

And here's me now:
0209111055.jpg

Replies

• walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! You look so great! I am currently on a high protein program which consists of a lot of chicken. I have contemplated vegetarianism and possibly veganism for a long time. Where do you get you protein? I am not a fan of soy. If you have any suggestions, that'd be great.

Stephanie
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Your muscle definition is really great! Those arms, that chest, great great!! It's so awesome that you feel good because it sure looks like you should. Very excellent job!
  • crossarmant
    crossarmant Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a vegan/vegetarian diet's gonna help you out a lot more than something like Atkins. If you actually look into the misinformation behind the nutritional microbiology from the Atkin's program it's pretty off the point and not good for your health over all. You'll lose weight, sure, but it's not good for your well-being.

Anyways, technically for proper maintenance your diet needs to only consist of around 10% protein; however I take in around 30% since I do weight lifting. And to be a veg you really don't need to eat only soy products. If you read through my food diary, you'll see that a lot of whole grains, lentils, black beans, chickpeas, seitan, and of course soy. But there's plenty of protein and tons of fiber in the diet, way more than the measly 10g that most Americans take in. I think it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Sure some folks may find it difficult to maintain being a vegetarian/vegan, but when you really care about animal welfare and environmental degradation it makes it significantly easier.
  • walkers345
    Options
    Thanks! I will look through you diet info. I am not doing Atkins. I am doing what's called a Slow Carb program or Four Hour Body. It does incorporate lots of beans and fiber which I like, vegetables and Meat. It's lower carbs and no sugar, no dairy. In the long run, I will need to incorporate fruits into this plan because I can't imagine a life without fruit. This plan also has no grains. I also cannot imagine life without oatmeal. Thanks for the info.
  • walkers345
    Options
    Again, You look amazing. Good for you for being in such a great place in you life. You should be very excited and proud. Great job!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great job, you look fantastic. Being vegetarian rocks!:flowerforyou:
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Anyways, technically for proper maintenance your diet needs to only consist of around 10% protein; however I take in around 30% since I do weight lifting. And to be a veg you really don't need to eat only soy products. If you read through my food diary, you'll see that a lot of whole grains, lentils, black beans, chickpeas, seitan, and of course soy. But there's plenty of protein and tons of fiber in the diet, way more than the measly 10g that most Americans take in. I think it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Sure some folks may find it difficult to maintain being a vegetarian/vegan, but when you really care about animal welfare and environmental degradation it makes it significantly easier.
    Couldn't have said it better, myself! I don't even worry about getting enough protein. I just eat what I eat, and some days I'm a bit lower than my goal and some days I'm higher. (Yet, people always seem to be concerned that I'm not getting enough!) Likewise with fiber. As long as I focus on keeping a lot of variety and whole foods in my diet, it's really not something I need to worry about.

Thanks for being an awesome advocate for a vegan diet! May I friend you, so I can check out your food diary from time to time? (If not, no worries.)

PS: Amazing job! (How could I leave that out? Geeze.)
  • gblotter
    Options
    This is an impressive and inspirational success story - thanks for sharing it.

I'm at a different stage of life but have similar goals. My diet and exercise is quite tame compared to what you are doing. After losing the first 10-12 pounds rather quickly, I have hit a plateau on my weight loss.

Results speak for themselves, so I cannot argue with your vegan diet and P90X program. I just need to decide for myself whether I am ready to embrace a fairly radical lifestyle change like that. My personality normally gravitates to "moderation in all things".

If you are open to a friend request, I'd be interested in monitoring your food and exercise diary.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!