What to put in my steamer...

Options
I have a steamer... used from a friend. I have no idea what to steam. I have steamed broccoli.. can I do fish too? I have heard of people steaming potatoes... does that take for ever?

Replies

• Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I steam, asparagus, cauliflower, yellow peppers and anything I vegetable I can find. Those mixed medly Green giant vegetables that are frozen too. I throw the whole bag in.

I love love love my steamer!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I steam tilapia fillets with a little lemon pepper and they turn out great.
  • annasid78
    Options
    How long do you steam your fish for??
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    How long do you steam your fish for??
    Usually around 10 minutes, sometimes more depending on the thickness.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Hope this helps! There's a yummy-looking, easy asparagus recipe in here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/steamer/index.html
  • chrysnel
    Options
    I cook hard-boiled eggs in mine - I put as many in the steamer basket as will fit in there, add just over a cup of water, and let 'em steam - they come out perfect every time! :happy:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are actually best when they are steamed because they don't become water logged.

I steamed beets for dinner this evening. Delicious!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love just about any steamed vegetable. I'm going to try the Tilapia... thanks for the suggestion!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I cook hard-boiled eggs in mine - I put as many in the steamer basket as will fit in there, add just over a cup of water, and let 'em steam - they come out perfect every time! :happy:

if you want to hard cook your eggs in large batches you can also use the oven. put a dozen eggs or so in a roasting pan cover with water an place in a 400* oven for 20min. I've cooked 3 dozen at a time this way.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I know this is an old thread, but I also have a steamer (Oster electric with 3 baskets) and I'm looking for recipes for it! How long do eggs take to hard boil in the steamer? Anyone else have any great steamer recipes?