Rowing/ Erging

singingginger
singingginger Posts: 7 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I wanted to see if there were any rowers out there who were on this site, and also promote it as an awesome exercise to those that may be looking for a new way to work out, be a part of a team, and feel crazy good!

I'm the VP of a Big Ten Rowing Club and I have to say the past three years of my life as a collegiate athlete have been amazing, with both ups and downs, and have given me a wonderful set of friends that I will have for the rest of my life. We have sweat together, bled together and have been there for each other every step of the way. Rowing is amazing because it forces you to give your all and pushes you to levels you never thought you might have. And through it all, I knew, that even though I might be over weight, I am healthy. I work out 5-6 days a week, for two hours a day and can legs press almost twice my body weight (and I'm obviously not a little person.)

I wanted to know if anyone out there rows and has the same issues as me of having worked out so hard and still not being the weight they want to be? I don't eat a whole lot of bad foods because of training schedules but I do eat a lot of the things that I can eat. My issue is portion control and I guess I wanted to know if anyone else's is either? It causes so much frustration to work out this much and not be skinny.

For those of you who don't row and might want to get into it, its a wonderful way to meet people and work out and be held accountable on a weekly basis. Try and find a boat house near you that might have a learn-to-row class. It will be one of the most amazing things you have ever done for yourself!

Replies

• jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    I like to row at the gym. A couple years ago, I was in a good habit of working out. I started out only being about to do 5 minutes on the rower. Every day I used it, I would increase my time by a minute. Before I knew it, I could do about 50 minutes of straight rowing! But the row machine was really crappy and would inch across the floor, haha. They updated our gym so now we have new rowers, so I started on them again the other day. I just did 6 minutes, then 7 minutes the next day. I am going to get up to 50 minutes again, I know it! And in a few months, I want to be able to row a half marathon in one day. There are challenges on the Concept2 website (thats the type of machine we have) and one of them is to do a 1/2 marathon in one workout... I want to be able to do that!!

I would love to join an actual team, though. Once I build up my skills on the rower at the gym, then I think I will look into that. Sounds like a blast :)
  • Oh, this is wild. For my 55th birthday 3 years ago I did a 1/2 marathon on a concept2 at my gym. I'm going to begin training to do another on for my 59th birthday on Feb 20, 2014. I'm an on again off again exerciser however I love the erg. It fits my body so well (5'8 160 lbs) and exercises my body almost effortlessly. That being said I choose to row at a moderate speed 2:50 average and 4 resistance.

If anyone else is out there and would like to support this effort, I'd love to connect.
This discussion has been closed.