ways to sweeten a smoothie

Options
2»

Replies

• mandie26
    Options
    Sissy, you should also try out agave nectar (maybe found at planet organic or petes frootique?), or stevia, as aforementioned. Or, cane sugar or raw sugar.

Honey is also fab too, and I see that you've tried it! Anything is better then white, processed sugar or chemicals.

Protein Powder can be okay, I have used chocolate protein powder in the past but I'm currently looking for one which is a bit more natural.

You're doing so well.
    xxx
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bumping for the apple pie smoothie!
    I use Greek yogurt to up the protein. If I am using really tart fruit, I will use a pure fruit juice to sweeten it. Start with a sweetener, then decrease gradually until you are just using the fruits to sweeten - you won't miss it eventually, I promise!
  • Rosie958r
    Rosie958r Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Go for honey!
    Honey is the best but im a little biased cause my dads a beekeeper :)
  • mrsbarraza23
    Options
    BUMP
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I switched to Dannon Light and Fit yogurts and found I do not need a sweetner... I use the yogurt , fruit of choice (frozen) and 1% milk ...delicious.

Thanks I will try this because used plain yogurt , 1% milk, strawberries and peaches. Tried adding splenda to sweeten, YUCK!
  • tlodden01
    tlodden01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We add a scoop of vanilla whey protein and to sweeten the fruit use crystal light (just a few sprinkles from the pack. It doesn't take much. It takes awhile to get the flavor you may want, but my teenagers love them and so do we. Healthy and lots of protein.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife meal replacements in my smoothies -LOTS of flavors to choose from. One of my favorites is the Pina Coloda with frozen pineapple or crushed in its own juice. I also use a lot of PB2-a dry peanut butter powder with only 45 calories on 2 tb. 5g protein and 1 g sugar. It's delish and works great in smoothies. As others have said adding yogurt and stevia-no splenda or agave is good too. Anothr trick Ihave tried is adding "simply fruit" jelly to a shake if you don't have fruit. I also have used the V8 juices as someone else said. So many options you can never get bored :)
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    I put a banana in my veggie smoothie and it's the perfect amount of sweetness
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Sweeten it with LOVE!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    1 can unsweetened coconut water
    1/2 banana
    1 scoop whey protein isolate
    spinach or kale
    berries