Anyone have a favorite type of walking/hiking shoes? I'm loo

Sara7Taylor
Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! I'm looking into buying some walking and hiking shoes. I am wondering what brands you all like. How are Sketchers Shape Ups for in town walking?

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Hey....I love my workout shoes...I got the generic type shape up just to see if I like them before I went and paid $100 for shape ups. I love them! I am going when I get paid to get the sketchers. I even wear them to work and my feet do not hurt at all.
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
  • Hi

I wear Vasque hiking boots for general hiking , and Brooks Cascadias for trail running, or short simple hikes.
    I bought both pairs at REI. What's great about REI is that even if you wear them, if they don't work for you, you can return or exchange. They guarantee everything! They were in the mid 100's range, but you definitely want quality, it's worth it.

Also, I am a server and do a lot of running around in the restaurant, sometimes for long hours. I wear the Sketcher's Shape Ups for serving. It took a couple of wears to get used to them, but they are great. I had problems with my feet hurting, and that has dramatically decreased since I started wearing the Sketchers. They put a spring in your step :) I even bought a 2nd pair to wear for fun wear. I don't know if you have a Costco near you, but my local Costco just starting sellig them for $52 a pair (way down from the $100 Macy's charged for my first pair!)

Lucy
  • I love Merrell's for hiking shoes! They are a bit pricier, but I have come to the determination that good, comfortable shoes are worth the extra money.
  • jisabelle
    jisabelle Posts: 156 Member
    I currently use and I'm in love with my Reebok Easy Tone
    They cost me $135 but they are worth every penny! They are AMAZING and they look GREAT!!
    so comfy... you should check them out. http://www.reebok.com/images/logo.gif

Not knocking Sketchers, but I have heard a couple of people who have twisted and even broken ankles while wearing those shoes. They blamed the platform the shoes has. Don't know for a fact but in my opinion, better safe than sorry.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Firstly I don't do "gimmick" shoes like "tone" or shape up" shoes.

For trail running and hill walking I love the Inov-8 range. http://www.inov-8.com

If I want more structure around the ankle, for instance proper mountain walking, I would pick my Merrells.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I have a pair of shape ups that I wear at work. My day is divided about 50/50 sitting at a desk and stomping around on concrete. They have really helped. As far as hiking, no way. I think I would twist my foot off on any kind of rough surface. Just walking through gravel is tricky at best.

I should add, the shape up tounge is aggravating because it will not stay in place and if the shoe isn't a tight fit your heel will slid up while you walk. In my case anyway. I still like them.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I love hiking in the woods and walking around town so I am wanting both hiking shoes and paved street walking shoes. I tried on the generic brand of shape ups at walmart and they feel pretty comfortable. I havent found a pair of hiking shoes that I like yet. I will have to check the ones you ladies listed. I like the hiking shoes that have a lower back, more like reg. tennis shoes....not so much the boot kind.
This discussion has been closed.