Weight loss/exercise confusion :(

Options
Hi all!

I really need some advice. I'm currently on 1200 cals a day which is fine (although I've heard that if you drop below this even by just a few cals then it will put your body into starvation mode) but I'm also exercising everyday and burning x amount of cals.

Now this is where I get confused! Do I have to eat the cals i've burned to maintain the 1200 cals? so basically...

Eat: 1200 cal
Burn: 300-400 cal
= an excess of 300 cals of extra cals a day left over....

but surely that would be putting me under my 1200 cal intake and thus putting my body into starvation mode? But on the other hand, eating my burned cals would surely be defeating the object??

Please help! I'm pulling my hair out here!

Thank you!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    read these they may help i uptted my calories and started losing again , sounds daft i know but :~)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck on your journey :~)
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I always eat exercise calories. Mostly, I would starve on 1200/day. I've tried and found I'm so hungry I actually have pain so figured that can't be right :)
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my net calories are 1200 especially if I've been exercising. Ultimately, if you're hungry then eat something small like a piece of fruit and drink water. Consider trialling a week or two where you eat 1250 - 1300 calories NET each day. You might find your body is lacking a little in fuel.
  • zcosborne86
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I've really been worried that I've put my body into starvation mode! My weekly weigh day is tomorrow so I'll see if I've dropped any more lbs and if i have then I'll continue with my plan and eat my exercise cals but if i've gone up or stayed the same then I will defininatly have to up my intake.

I feel pretty rubbish now as I've been doing this for 4 weeks and if i been 'too good' and made my body go into starvation mode then it will all seem like a waste of time as I'll end up having to start again.

So far i've lost 2.9lb in 3 weeks. Tomorrow will be week 4 and I'm hoping to have lost another lb.... maybe i am doing it right? Will keep you updated! and thanks again!

Good luck to you all!