fat guy jogging

Options
OK, I am trying to slowly gain endurence jogging and I have a few questions for those who can help.

I weigh about 270 and my normal workout on the treadmill is 25 minutes 3.3 at a 6 incline. Then I do a minute cool down then jog @ 6 at a incline for anywhere from a minute to minute and a half (I'm just starting) I repeat the cool down and jog 3X

After my jog I am so out of breath it takes about 3 minutes just to feel normal. If that normal and will that imrove and if so how quickly should that happen.

After jogging I have a little pain in my ankles shins and knees, should I jog through this or switch to biking. Will biking help me run better?

Thanks in advance for any help! - Shannon

Replies

• tammydspice
    Options
    the rule I follow is if I cannot carry on a conversation with my running buddy I am going too fast. I walk run walk run and have gotten up to 5km running now with no break, I started in Nov. But I go for distance not speed. I don't know if that helps.

Best of luck with it!!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just started running in January. My only caution would be that based on everything I have read, you are much more prone to injury in the early stages of your running. As such, I would be very careful about how much stress you put on your body in the early stages. An injury can sideline you for weeks if not longer.

I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor, run/walk in intervals that keep your heart rate in the training zone that you are targeting, be very aware of any pain points on your body.

I really am enjoying running, but the last time I started, I was a bit too enthusiastic, hurt my knee and basically stopped for 2 years. So, this time around, I am being a lot more careful about how hard I push things. Having said that, I ran more than 20 miles this week so I feel like I am now doing some good mileage.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • sdhorne
    sdhorne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees due to my time in the military. Try the elliptical to give you the "running" workout but not the pounding on your joints. Also, if you are exercising too hard you are buring glucose and not fat, so try toning it down a bit.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    ya - too much. You should be able to hold a conversation. Slow it down for sure. My chiro had me have the incline at 1.5 only and to watch my heart rate more than worry about how fast I'm going. Google the "Couch 2 5k" they have one geared for the treadmill and stay on each day until you feel comfortable to move to the next day.

I struggled and struggled with trying get some endurance - like over a year - then I got a heart rate monitor and it's made all the difference in the world
    I just ran a 10k yesterday and was talking to girl next to me on our last mile. I'm NOT fast AT ALL, but I'm getting faster each time. The key is your heart rate, relaxing, and taking your time. When I first started with the heart rate monitor my heart rate would shoot up really high, my husband would tell me to go slower, I thought if I went any slower I'd be walking, he said "then walk".....I would walk and then shuffle until my heart was up and then walk again and so on :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Firstly, bring that incline down to 1.5. I doubt you're mechanically ready for hill reps.

Don't run faster than conversational pace. Once you feel you couldn't hold a conversation, bring in a 2 min walk break. Alternatively build from "1 minute on - one minute off".

I hope you have good proper running shoes suitable to your gait. At your impact level that would be even more important.

Don't run on consecutive days. Do some non-impact cardio in between your running days, like rowing or cycling.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The key is your heart rate, relaxing, and taking your time. When I first started with the heart rate monitor my heart rate would shoot up really high, my husband would tell me to go slower, I thought if I went any slower I'd be walking, he said "then walk".....I would walk and then shuffle until my heart was up and then walk again and so on :)

Your hubby advised you very well.

When you're still at the stage of getting fit, your VO2 Max is still pretty low, so above a certain heart rate you will build loads of lactic acid in your legs which will make them feel like they're filled with led. So if you keep your HR below your lactic threshold you'll be able to keep going for longer.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm the same weight as you and when I first started a little over a month ago I had the same problems. Now I can jog for about 10-12 minutes before needing to slow down and I'm gaining endurance with every week. What you might want to try is slowing down for a while and ease into it a bit more. In my opinion you're trying to do too much too fast. A 3.3 mph speed walk at a 6 incline is a tough workout in itself. Are you then running at 6 mph at a 6 incline too? If so that is crazy tough for a beginner.

I would start off with a 3.5 mph pace at a 3-5% incline for the first 2-3 minutes. Then switch to a 4.5 mph pace with a 0 incline for about 3-5 minutes. Then go back to the 3.5. Repeat that cycle for about 30 minutes. If you still feel really out of breath at the end then cut the jogging time down a little bit more. Eventually though you will not feel tired after jogging for 3-5 minutes and want to keep going. Do it. You will see that you will be able to run for a minute or two longer than you expected. Eventually you will get where you want to be. Good luck!

P.S. To help with the aches and pains make sure you do a quick warm-up before getting on the treadmill and that you take time to stretch before and after your workout. And make sure you are eating enough protein.
  • syoung76
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice people!!!
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The pain in your shins and ankles would be from not wearing proper running shoes or socks that aren't thick enough. It would also be from your weight putting too much pressure in those areas. Be careful! Go and see your doctor is the best idea, he can advise you on when you should be concerned and how to deal with it. Pain in shins is usually from shin splints which I get a lot, try stretches that work on the areas around your shins, I find they help me. And good work with the jogging and running, keep it up!