I hate exercise - help

Options
13»

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the inspiration everyone. I like the idea of having audio books to listen to. I do like to cycle and will start cycling to work again soon once its just a tad warmer (that's 6 miles a day). I cycled all summer last year (March - October) and it was good (although mainly because it cuts my commute time in half!!!)

In other news, I went to Zumba for the first time tonight. Got the steps pretty easily just pretty knackered afterwards but it was pretty good. :)
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wearing a coat? Seriously I've been cycling in to work all winter and it's fine.
    If you're cold then you aren't peddling fast enough :wink:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the inspiration everyone. I like the idea of having audio books to listen to. I do like to cycle and will start cycling to work again soon once its just a tad warmer (that's 6 miles a day). I cycled all summer last year (March - October) and it was good (although mainly because it cuts my commute time in half!!!)<snip>
    6 miles a day is a nice warmup. How about if you find a nice fun circle and make the trip home a good 12 miler every day. That's about an hour for most of us. You're going anyway.

An hour on the bike chews off a ton of calories. It'll be your workour for the day, you'll have fun, you'll feel great.

Thoughts?
  • annette6926
    annette6926 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So I have been on MFP for a few weeks and doing well with keeping to my daily calorie count etc and starting to lose a few pounds. My next problem is the fact that I don't do any exercise. I need some ideas and motivation.

I've always been crap at sports in general. I've got big boobs and short legs and just don't feel like I'm made for exercise. I hate running more than anything. The gym bores me to death. I don't like the idea of doing exercise at home infront of the TV.

I do cycle to work in the summer but its slow cycling and only 3 miles. I like swimming but it is such a hassle to get ready for. I used to do professional dancing as a kid but gave it up when I hit puberty.

So now I've had a moan - can anyone suggest things I might enjoy that don't involved running of any description? I might like group classes but don't know where to start?

HELP!

I was the same, im 33 and never really done much exercise at all the occasional time i'd join a gym then never go! I hate sweating but i recently decided to try some fitness classes (I have dvd's at home which i never really use) I hate the gym, i find it boring, in the last week i have been to Body Combat twice, Body Attack twice and Body step once and altho the first time in each is hard work it really is a great work out and this is coming from a person who normally despises working out, the fact u have someone there getting u to work harder and burn the fat is what i like about it, I am also going to try zumba, legs bums and tums and see which ones i prefer to do and then get into the classes i like best. As for you big boobs situation, get yourself a really good sports bra to keep them at bay!
    I have surprised myself and for once in my life i'm finally getting into working out! I hope you do too!
  • WitherAway
    WitherAway Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've joined the gym so many times... thinking about going doesn't get me there!!! (I actually joined January.. and haven't been yet) My knees can't take Zumba, or dancing until I loose some weight... pretty ironic isn't it??? I'd love to ride a bicycle, walk in the park, all of the activities I long to join in... require weight loss first :((((((

Traditional exercise... not for me!!!!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Wither Away, I challenge you on the walking in the park statement. I believe that if you can walk to the kitchen you can walk in the park or anywhere else. Years of carrying 70 or so extra pounds did my knees in. I got thinner, but not fitter. When I decided to get fit I had a lot of pain, a LOT of knee pain. I kept going. I take Inflame Away every day. When things with my knees or plantar faciitis get really bad I'll drink a liquid glucosamine/chondroitin supplement every day for awhile.

I started by walking, just walking. I parked all extra far away from the door at my job or at stores. I walked on my breaks. I walked in the evening. I started to run just a little and it really hurt, but I stuck with it and it got better. I actually believe that the impact helps your knees! It did mine anyway.

I'm your elder and now I do a LOT of jumping in my morning workouts and running and skipping in my noontime workouts. I am fitter than I have ever been. It started by walking.