Need more iron...

Options
I noticed I'm very low in iron. What are some things I can eat? I'm having steak and broccoli tonight to try to up my numbers. Any other ideas? I can't eat steak on a daily basis but I can try to incorporate more fish. I do take a multivitamin.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Black strap molasses, fortified cereals, beans, and much more:
    http://www.oodora.com/health-and-food/nutrition/foods-high-in-iron.html
  • janeenalex
    janeenalex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    molasses, greens
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i have problems meeting my daily iron too! i eat vitatops often for breakfast & they have 50% of the daily recommended iron in them, but i don't eat them everyday.
  • tdixon00
    Options
    I actually started taking an iron supplement because I couldnt seem to get enough iron (I also am a college student eating in a college cafeteria...) so that is something to consider.
  • nmccabe33
    Options
    I love Vitatops! I didn't know they had that much iron. Score!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I actually started taking an iron supplement because I couldnt seem to get enough iron (I also am a college student eating in a college cafeteria...) so that is something to consider.

Not all iron supplements are created equal. Some have lots of iron, but it's not readily absorbed by the body. I know Feosol brand works well, so that's what I buy (well, when I'm being good and taking my iron, which I haven't been lately). If you can't find it, maybe ask your doctor what one he recommends.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am frequently low on iron in my blood but I find supplements very hard to handle. Grape Nuts are actually really high in iron - 1/2 cup serving supplies 90% of RDA based on 2000 calorie diet. The problem is there is also 200 calories in that half cup. I sometimes sprinkle 1/8 to 1/4 cup over another cereal such as oatmeal or Kashi.
  • janeenalex
    janeenalex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, have citrus or something with vitamin C in same meal when eating vegetable sources of iron. This helps your body to absorb the iron.