High Protein / Low Carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, I sounded a bit ranty. Sorry about that. Knittnponder summed it up--too many carbs=sluggish; too few=low energy.

Whoever has a few extra pounds to lose probably got there by consuming too many calories made up of excess carbs, protein, and fat--most of which was probably processed. Basically, overeating. Tracking it without changing things for a week or two will show what needs to be reduced.

For me, I can't believe how many little snacky crappy things I end up with at the end of the week! They gotta go.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, alot if advice there.

Im not cutting out carbs, i know i need them as part of a healthy lifestyle, i would just like to cut down on my daily intake. The worst thing i coud do is cut our carbs completely then suddenly crave them so much i stuff my face.

I dont eat unhealthy and dont eat processed food, I do treat myself now and again but only to what my calorie intake allows. i guess i could be more strict but somtimes i do go over my 1200 allowance but never more than by 200. all my dinners are cooked from scratched with plenty of veg. (dont get me wrong, im young and i like to go to dinner with my partner and friends to a nice restaurant) i use my tredmil and weights 3-4 times a week and im noticing the difference. I think im on the right track, iv increased my protein, and reduced my carbs especially after lunch time so i dont feel so sluggish and when i have a nice dinner of meat and veg or fish or eggs, i feel full and still have the energy to get some power walking in.

I dont want a crash diet because i know they dont work. Weightwatchers for me didnt work, i was hungry all the time. Iv tried alot of differnt things and calorie counting and carb reduction works best for me. I wont lie, In my lifestyle im not very active because i have an office job where im glued to my chair for the whole day. other than the exercise i make myself do at home, the most im on my feet is when im cooking dinner and cleaning up. I work in a business estate so im surrounded by cars and lorries and its not easy to walk around at lunch time and we do not have the facilities in my office to "freshen up" so the last thing i want to do is come back to my desk smelling of BO. if i didnt live so far away i would happily walk to work but thats not the case.

Yesterday i had a bagel for lunch and a packet of crisps, and i felt like i was going to fall asleep at my desk! the day before i had some chicken and salad and i felt more full and was much more alert for the rest of the day.

I guess everyone needs to find something that works best for them and this works best for me.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    Carbs are a necessary part of a healthy lifestyle. The type of carb is the key. Complex carbs are what give you energy for long periods of time as opposed to simple carbs that you find in junk food that give you a huge crash. Fruits contain simple carbs, but they are great when combined with proper amounts of protein and complex carbs as a general rule. After a heavy weightlifting session, protein and simple carbs help to refuel the muscles.
    A great program that helped me to get to my goal is www.burnthefat.com. This program explains how important carbs, protein, and fat are. It also explains that you should eat 5 small meals a day and that in order to change the way your body looks you need to lift weights.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I taper my carbs. My macronutrients are 40-30-30. I get most of my complex carbs in the morning and the early part of the day and have very few at dinner. I also do not eat anything 3 hours before bedtime.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I taper my carbs. My macronutrients are 40-30-30. I get most of my complex carbs in the morning and the early part of the day and have very few at dinner. I also do not eat anything 3 hours before bedtime.

Is the 40% your protein?
  • princesschikee
    Options
    No, 40% is my Carbs. I'm 112 lbs and typically average 145 g of carbs, 100 g of protein and 45 g of fat. for the most part. Depending on your workouts, should determine your macros. I'm a heavy lifter so I take in more protein.
  • jammyone
    Options
    Low carb is a good idea but high protein is not.

High carb diets often mean a lot of muscle wastage due to your body always needing a supply of energy from glucose which means whenever you try to exercise you will only burn muscle because it needs glucose and the best way of doing it to convert protein stores (muscle) into it. Also carbs tend to cause an insulin spike; complex or simple.

High protein diets will make the body acidic and like the carb diet give a decency on always having energy there otherwise you will get muscle breakdown. I actually think a high protein diet is WORSE than a high carb diet due the amount of amonia that will be produced as a waste product when protein is converted into glucose (with about 60% efficiency btw).

That really only leaves the one macro nutrient left which is fat. Supplying your body with fat sets your metabolism to burn fat, once the fat you've eaten is all used up your body will then start using your fat stores to supply it's needs, leaving the protein you've eaten for repair. I eat a minimum of 55% fat, with a maximum of 10% carbs but really I'm aiming for 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. I really believe this causes the least catabolism and maximum fat loss.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Is the 40% your protein?

Thanks! I just starting out and trying to find my right mix.
  • BeatTheBattle
    Options
    Low carb long term again is something that even professional bodybuilders don't tend to use when cutting for a competition. Yes they make sure they strictly eat clean but they also carb cycle.

A friend of mine is carb cycling to get to a boxing weight and his typical carb cycle is (whilst keeping protein / fat intake relatively stable throughout the week):

Mon: Low Carb
    Tue: Normal
    Wed: Low Carb
    Thurs: High Carb
    Fri: Low Carb
    Sat: Normal
    Sun: High Carb

He does say the low carb after his high carb days are very difficult but he has seen results. It makes it easier knowing he has another high carb day in a few days and he doesnt have to go without for weeks at a time. He tends to trim down to 5-7% BF maintaining lean muscle, so it does work. Just don't deprive yourself for long periods of time. Let yourself have one or two days a week where you up your carb intake.

Or something similar. PLay around with the number
  • Danthewatcher
    Options
    I'm loving this thread.

So today, a study was published.
    Although the study is specifically about cancer, I thought I'd share...

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/high-carbohydrate-diet-tied-to-cancer-20110616-1g4o9.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/diet/Low-carb-high-protein-diet-cut-cancer-risk/articleshow/8862864.cms

I've recently adjusted to 40 - 30 - 30.
    Then this hits the stands...

Although it's still to early for me to say anything at all about it, I am looking forward to the results the change might or might not bring.

Thoughts on the articles?
  • jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options
    Low-carb yes. High protein - No.

Chew the fat!
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    No. Not good. You might as well throw the protein in the garbage. For each gram of protein to be used by your body, it needs 4 grams of carbos. When your protein is high, it is only filling your stomach, but not being used by your body (so its not fueling muscles/muscle growth without the carbs present). It stresses your digestive system (but you may not feel it) and other organs. A balanced low-fat diet with real food and a variety of exercise (cardio and strength) is the way to go. "They" say 30% calories from fat, but from many health experts, that is too high. Use this site, set your weight loss goal (1 to 1.5 pounds lost per week is safe and managable without stressing out) and you will get there. It will take longer than your friends method, but you will be at your goal when she is still pounding the weights eating a rigid diet and you'll be used to a healthy diet, fun exercise, and enjoying your accomplishment. Think of this, the extra weight that you want to lose--how long did it take to put on? It may take that long to burn it off. Don't expect overnight success, but demand success in the end. GOOD LUCK!

o_rly.jpg
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean NO carb. There are carbs in dairy, fruits, and vegetables, as well as grains. If you just cut out the grains in your diet (which I essentially have), you will automatically reduce your carb intake dramatically (esp. the refined processed junk - anything white).

I've done that (I eat about 100-130 gm/carb/day, and about 100-120 gm/protein/day) and the results speak for themselves. I find it not only easy to maintain, but I feel MUCH better, and my bloodwork is better than ever as well.
  • shaggy63
    shaggy63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I keep my Carbs below 50 g a day. I've lost 14 lbs since June 10th.

Don't do high protein, do High Fat Low carb. For great information go to reddit.com/r/keto