weight loss plateu

Options
I am getting very sad... I have been doing a lot of working out.. and taking time off to help rest my body.. but I am stuck on this weight plateau....where it doesn't go up and it doesn't go down.. and i know I haven't been eating quite great.. but.. i do work out.. and I do try to be as fit as possible.. starting to get nervous.. I know I eat a lot of lean cuisine and stuff.. but with my running around and stuff.. there sometimes isn't time to make a great meal... but I counteract that bad lunch or something with working out.. I just NEED HELP!!!!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

From looking over your food diary I see you're burning over 1000 on a lot of days but not eating much more than that. You're only giving your body a few hundred calories on which to function and that simply isn't enough. MFP already gives you a calorie deficit, you don't need to eat less than your goal. You should be meeting your calorie goal and eating your exercise calories. Also, you shouldn't really be consistently burning 1000+ calories from exercise in one day. That much exercise puts a lot of stress on your body, stress which can make you stop losing weight. You shouldn't burn more than 500-700 calories per day.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your fiber intake and try to eat at least 30g of fiber per day. Also, make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. If you lower your sodium intake and eat more fruits, veggies, I'll bet you will see a difference.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    so.. I need to eat more and work out less? or do I need to eat my work out calories.. and stuff like that?
  • jamesadcox
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

From looking over your food diary I see you're burning over 1000 on a lot of days but not eating much more than that. You're only giving your body a few hundred calories on which to function and that simply isn't enough. MFP already gives you a calorie deficit, you don't need to eat less than your goal. You should be meeting your calorie goal and eating your exercise calories. Also, you shouldn't really be consistently burning 1000+ calories from exercise in one day. That much exercise puts a lot of stress on your body, stress which can make you stop losing weight. You shouldn't burn more than 500-700 calories per day.

ftw,

Also with exercise make sure you are mixing it up! Eat your allotment of calories and most if not all of your exercise calories (make good food choices) so that your body can recover and rebuild.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I eat fruits and veggies when we have them.. I do try to eat a fruit or veggie with each meal ( although I didn't have a fruit or veggie with breakfast I may make up for it at lunch). ok, track my fiber.. what will tracking my fiber do
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I now track my sodium, sugar, fat, protein.. and now you say fiber?
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I think my problem is.. I get nervous when i see the top numbers go in red.. or negative.. but is that good? should I be letting that occur?
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I now track my sodium, sugar, fat, protein.. and now you say fiber?

Tracking sodium and sugar are more important than fiber. If you're eating fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains you'll get enough fiber.

And yes, you do need to work out a little less and eat all your calories.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    ok.. so eat more.. work out less.. I just have a minimal time frame.. and I guess I am trying to get as much done before I have to go back to school in a few weeks
  • Trjlove
    Options
    You are not eating enough. It is true to lose weight you have to eat. I fully understand what it is like to have a busy schedule (wife, mom of 2, full time job, and student) but you have to get away from the processed food, the lean cuisine. They are nothing but chemicals and fake meet in coinvient box. The additives and chemicals can also hender your weight loss. Notice that the boxes read white meat, this could mean many things. If you can watch the documentary FOOD Inc. I t will change your life.
    Knowledge alone will can motivate to make changes.
  • scbirdie2004
    Options
    Snack more during the day....like eat more 100 calorie snacks or def. more fruits and veggies....and try more fiber in your diet Benefiber is good or even snack on the fiber one bars. You are def. starving your body!...Just worry about how much bad fat and bad carbs you are putting into your body....if they go into the negative its ok.....just make sure your calorie intake is on target!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I never agree with working out less. I think you're doing a great job and you should keep doing those workouts. However, when you work out more, your body requires more fuel. Think about it like that. I have seen a lot of people hit plateaus and break through just by adding 100-300 more calories per day for a week or two. Sometimes your body just needs a little bit extra to keep up with being more active. I know it sounds crazy but it works.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    ok.. so no more lean cuisine... and eat more real food... work out less... stuff like that? got it
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    so what do you consider someone who is going back to school soon 9-4:30 and really has like 20 min for lunch.. what do I eat.. or right now I am home.. so I can eat whatever.. do you consider making like full course lunches when I am home. like all homeade stuff
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    so for a lunch today.. how does this sound for calories.. beef meatballs.. with some brown rice.. and corn and carrots.. does that sound better?
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    and some sauce
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    so what do you consider someone who is going back to school soon 9-4:30 and really has like 20 min for lunch.. what do I eat.. or right now I am home.. so I can eat whatever.. do you consider making like full course lunches when I am home. like all homeade stuff

You can bring sandwiches and an apple or baby carrots with you for lunch. My husband does this on his long days at school. When you're home you can make a salad with some grilled chicken, or you can still have a sandwich. Making your own food doesn't mean you have to cook everything from scratch and make a huge production. We don't have any processed food (beside bread, tortillas, lunch meat) in the house and I only cook for dinner. Sometimes breakfast if I'm having eggs and hash browns.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    so for lunch today.. does carrots, corn, rice, sauce and meatballs sound ok
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    so for lunch today.. does carrots, corn, rice, sauce and meatballs sound ok

Corn isn't the best nutrition wise, but yes, that sounds fine for lunch today.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I didn't eat a lot of it.. I just needed some other veggie.. and we eat all the fresh ones already and that was the only one left.. and that whole lunch has actually made me less hungry.. but I still need to do my JIllian Micheal's dvds..