HRM Question RE: Tracking with MFP

Options
MJ5898
MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
Okay, I am apparently missing something here. I see lots of my friends log their exercise and the line reads something like this: "[name] burned 258 calories doing 35 minutes of "Walking HRM 121" cycling 3.5 mph HRM 140". When I look through the exercise tracker, I cannot find a place to add in what your HRM readings are. How does this work? When I use my HRM, the calories burned tends to be a bit less than MFP tracker indicates. I assume the HRM is more accurate and use that number instead, but am just not clear on how to record that - do I include less time in the tracker so that it drops the calories burned down? I would prefer to keep an accurate record of my actual time spent exercising so that I can hopefully look back in a few months and see progress in terms of duration, etc. Is there a way to create/add your own exercise descriptions and store those for future use? Thanks for any assistance in understanding this. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    When you go into the Exercise tab to enter what you burned, find your exercise and put down the time spent, then click over to calories burned, and change to what your HRM said you burned :).
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Ditto to what Stormie said. You can change the number that pops up in the search, but the other option (and I think what you are seeing) is to "create" an exercise by going to My Exercises and Create New. Then you fill in all the information. Hope that helps!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I had a HRM for years and when I started here I did not know you can just erase MFP calories burned after you put in your minutes. I could not believe it.

Congrats on your new HRM and enjoy it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am apparently missing something here. I see lots of my friends log their exercise and the line reads something like this: "[name] burned 258 calories doing 35 minutes of "Walking HRM 121" cycling 3.5 mph HRM 140". When I look through the exercise tracker, I cannot find a place to add in what your HRM readings are. How does this work? When I use my HRM, the calories burned tends to be a bit less than MFP tracker indicates. I assume the HRM is more accurate and use that number instead, but am just not clear on how to record that - do I include less time in the tracker so that it drops the calories burned down? I would prefer to keep an accurate record of my actual time spent exercising so that I can hopefully look back in a few months and see progress in terms of duration, etc. Is there a way to create/add your own exercise descriptions and store those for future use? Thanks for any assistance in understanding this. :flowerforyou:

I think they are entering the exercise themselves calling it walking HRM, not walking like in the database.
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    I agree with the above ... I created my own entry and use the data from the HRM. One must presume that you've tailored the HRM with your weight/age/sex info. I don't know where MFP gets their calculations (but I'm sure we'll hear 30 different opinions) ... but if you don't plug in your weight/age/sex etc into the treadmills at the gym (or your HRM when first purchased) they will presume that you are a 154 pound sexless middle aged person.

btw - I only created one entry - called exercise period. I just log the calories burned during that exercise period irregardless of the activity (treadmill, walking, weight training, etc). My HRM could care less what I'm doing when I wearing it, it just tracks the results. Is it accurate? Is it "real-world"? Who knows, who cares. Its just my solultion.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above ... I created my own entry and use the data from the HRM. One must presume that you've tailored the HRM with your weight/age/sex info. I don't know where MFP gets their calculations (but I'm sure we'll hear 30 different opinions) ... but if you don't plug in your weight/age/sex etc into the treadmills at the gym (or your HRM when first purchased) they will presume that you are a 154 pound sexless middle aged person.

btw - I only created one entry - called exercise period. I just log the calories burned during that exercise period irregardless of the activity (treadmill, walking, weight training, etc). My HRM could care less what I'm doing when I wearing it, it just tracks the results. Is it accurate? Is it "real-world"? Who knows, who cares. It just my solution and my opinion.

I too have one I created with HRM and that is light cleaning. I only count cleaning when I have my HRM on. This helps me keep moving while I am cleaning and I get more done more quickly also. When I generally clean I am cleaning 15 to 20 min and stopping the same amount of time!:laugh: So I decided to make one stating HRM so that my friends know I had on the HRM while cleaning. I fear many who are relying on MFP with the cleaning is being over estimated by MFP. But it is a general amount for those who do not have a HRM.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Did you get it sorted out?