What is the best "time" to have a treat??

Options
Hi,

Like most people on here I've tried a diet or two but as soon as I start eating normally again I have put the weight back on, so as soon as I discovered MFP I wanted this to be a lifestyle change rather than a fad diet!! I would like to continue eating the "nice but naughty" things in moderation.

My question is what is the best time to have a chocolate bar or another high(ish) cal snack?? I was recently told that eating a chocolate bar in the few hours following a gym session is a bad idea (something to do with metabolism)!!! Does anybody have any advice on this??

Cheers

Em:noway:

Replies

• Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Em

I've often wondered the same. I've heard that eating snacks before bedtime can be bad because you end up not burning the calories off.

Can anybody answer whether its better to treat yourself before or after a gym session?

Many thanks
    Jagged and kloe 7 xxx
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i eat a 'treat' anytime i want to as long as it's within calorie goal....morning, after a workout, before bed...doesn't really matter :)
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    i eat a 'treat' anytime i want to as long as it's within calorie goal....morning, after a workout, before bed...doesn't really matter :)

Cheers for that:bigsmile:

Does anybody else have any thoughts?:happy:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was a night time binger and it's the time i still find hardest with cravings. So that's when I have my treat. I'm not too fussed about whether it's just before bed or whether i've got enough time to burn it off. A light hot chocolate and snack size treat is much better than my binges of old, thousands and thousands of calories of junk food! As always, do what's right for you!
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think this guy sums up the night-time eating thing, and I think it stretches to your question. He basically says that it doesn't really matter what time you eat, that it balances out throughout the day anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYeKT8QhLE

Go for it whenever you want the treat, as long as you remain within your calorie allowance it can't do any harm and its a good motivator to work hard during your workout, knowing that you've earned something yummy.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually have one after dinner. It makes me feel like I am not depriving myself. I just make sure to leave enough calories for it. My favorites are the 100 cal ice cream bars/sandwiches. I would do what you think is right for you.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Have it when it works for you. Despite all of the "scientific theories" and all the other stuff out there I truly believe it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. I eat probably 50% of my calories after 6 pm because that is how I control the binging. A lot of people cringe to hear that but I make sure I don't go over calories and I factor in my "treats" (like every night before bed I have a glass of skim milk and piece of chocolate, sometimes have a 100 calorie cookie pack too). I've lost a lot.

BUT: I exercise consistently, I still make sure I get plenty of protien and veggies/fruits, and I drink lots of water. I just don't deny myself anything - make it all part of the plan.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Cheers for all your help!! :smile: