why does this happen?

Options
I step on the scale once a week and I barely see a difference, only one pound change. But I do see the difference in my clothes, they fit looser and I'm even starting to wear my high school clothes again =) I was just wondering why does this happen? Does it mean I'm only losing water weight and not fat? Because I've been working out almost two hours a day and that would suck....

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You're gaining muscle and losing fat. Keep going you'll see the scale change. Keep in mind that there are many ways to see a difference in fat loss besides the scale. More endurance, stronger, clothes fit looser, etc...
  • jlwright77
    Options
    Muscle actually weighs more than fat so as your body is toning up, due to the workout, you will notice a trimmer body. The weight is still coming off, so that's good, it's just being changed into a healthier weight.
  • Charli666
    Options
    muscle weighs 3 times more than fat, but is leaner, so your losing fat and gaining muscle, whilst becoming leaner, and healthier,

dont worry too much :-)

oh and GO YOU! x
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Seems like you are losing fat but gaining muscle with your 2 hour workouts. Remember a pound of muscle takes up 'less room' than a pound of fat. This would explain your clothes feeling looser and the scale not moving much.
  • jscimeca
    Options
    Muscle burns fat............ You will be alright. Keep up the good job working out and you will start to see amazing results. It's a bit tedious waiting for those results to show up. I know but you are on your way!!!
  • Cori615
    Cori615 Posts: 100
    Options
    you should measure your self like arms, waist, hips, legs etc. The important thing is that your losing doesn't matter if its pounds or inches.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're also getting closer to your goal. The closer you get, the slower the weight comes off. A pound a week is fantastic!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat..... A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. The difference is amount of space fat takes up compared to muscle. If you are losing fat and replacing it with muscle then yes, the weight will look similar but inches should be coming off. You are doing great! Don't get caught up in the number, being healthy is about so much more than just the number on the scale!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining a little bit of muscle, but if you're at a calorie deficit, you aren't gaining much. It's very hard to gain a significant amount of muscle. You have to eat an large excess of calories and a huge amount of protein, and you have to do tons of strength training with lots of weight and few reps. It's a lot of work to gain muscle!

The reason your clothes are fitting differently is because you are burning fat and your body is changing. Fat doesn't always come off evenly so you may be seeing changes in some areas and not others. Your rate of loss is just fine, 1 pound per week is great and it's healthy too.
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease :flowerforyou: I was starting to get worried a little there.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you're consistently losing one lb a week, that's great! That's a very healthy rate, and one that is much easier to maintain once you hit goal, than a super speedy loss. Like everyone before me has said, it's likely that you're replacing the fat with muscle, which again, will make the weight-loss easier to maintain in the long run!

It's working! Stick with it! You're doing great!
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The scale is so much less important than how you're feeling! :) If you're feeling better and exercising more, then I wouldn't worry about the numbers. Taking measurements (waist, hips, neck) may give you a more accurate record of your weight loss anyway. Yesterday, I weighed myself for the first time in one month, and I had GAINED 0.4 lbs! I freaked out, then pulled out my tape measurer and realized that I had actually lost 0.5" from my waist while "gaining" weight.
  • ugogirl1234
    Options
    Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease :flowerforyou: I was starting to get worried a little there.

I was feeling the same way at one point. I would get on and off the scale to see if maybe I was standing on it wrong. I would move the scale to other parts of the room, etc. etc. I began to realize the scale was not to be completely relied upon. You are fitting into your HS clothes when at one point you were not. That is what you have to go by.

I know it can be a struggle to not see the scale the complete truth and nothing but the truth, but just remind yourself each day that it is your clothes that tell the story.