6 kids = no time for lunch

Options
VanessaC
VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
So I'm watching 6 kids (including my own) for the summer. It keeps me busy to say the least which is good for keeping me moving but it keeps me moving right through lunch without a chance to eat myself most of the time. Four of the kids take a nap around 1pm (thank goodness) but by then I am pretty darn hungry. Any suggestions on something I can make in under 5 mins that is filling and low cal?

Replies

• VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So I'm watching 6 kids (including my own) for the summer. It keeps me busy to say the least which is good for keeping me moving but it keeps me moving right through lunch without a chance to eat myself most of the time. Four of the kids take a nap around 1pm (thank goodness) but by then I am pretty darn hungry. Any suggestions on something I can make in under 5 mins that is filling and low cal?
  • AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165
    Options
    try this...

sara lee "45 calorie &delightful" bread, oven roasted deli style turkey breast, hellmans lite mayo, lettuce & tomato. 155 calories, fills you right up and takes 2 minutes to make! good luck with your sanity through the summer!!
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am busy all day long too. Pry not as busy as you, but I have created several quick lunch ideas that keep me from eating not so good stuff.

I don't know if you like hummus, but try a slice of whole wheat pita bread and some hummus ( i like athenos). It's quick, easy, and so good.

If you have a George Forman, even if you don't you should invest. I loved grilled veggies. So, what i do is grill precut veggies i bought at the store on the grill before i go to bed. Then I put them in some tubaware and reheat the next day for lunch. Simple, healthy, and so good.

You can also, grill some chicken on there and put it on lettuce or spinach and use some low cal. dressings.

If your super busy, which it sounds like you are. Try just purchasing a veggie, fruit, and cheese tray and snack on portions of each for lunch for the week while the kids nap.

Hope this helps:smile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

Well, don't resort to self cannibalism!!! EEEKKK! :laugh:

I forget to eat when I get busy sometimes so here is what I always keep around the house just in case:

- - prepackaged tuna in water - I use my fat free mayo if I am home, or 1/2 the mayo in the package if I am out and about to save calories and fat
    - - frozen imitation crab meat - YUM!
    - - lunch meat - I roll it and go! I eat this along with prepackaged cheese sticks or slices
    - - boiled eggs - I boil several each week so I can quickly serve myself breakfast or throw it into a salad for another protein, my kids love them too!
    - - prepackaged mini carrots or snap pea's. YUM!

Good luck!
  • chrix
    chrix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the already-ready foods! I also like to have

*Thomas' 100% whole wheat MINI bagles
    *Hormel 70% less fat turkey pepperoni
    *fresh fruit and veggies to grab and munch!

So why aren't I skinny? ..............

oh... my hands are skinny 'cuz they get exercise on the 'puter!
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    I do daycare from home too, I make my lunch as I am preparing theirs. I know it's hard, but I usually start to prepare my lunch, usually a big salad or homemade sushi, first, then as I go just prepare their meal. Today for instance, I turned on the oven, then started to make my salad(fresh broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, 1/2 avocado, red onion, aspargus, spinach, garden salad mix, oven baked turkey chopped up, 2 slices turkey bacon crumbled and a pinch of cheese with 1.5 Tbs of lite catalina dressing, it's about 325 calories) meanwhile, I put their chicken in the oven, made their corn on the stove and cut fresh strawberries. I ate with them (6 kids also). It takes time to get a routine down, I used to eat when they all took a nap and by that time, I was starving and sometimes made bad choices!

Sometimes my hubby comes home for lunch, so I make him a turkey sandwich, sliced tomatoes with Feta cheese crumbled over the tomatoes and pepper(this is a nice tomato salad), and usually some fresh fruit or cottage cheese. Fast and easy!
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    Instant oatmeal is pretty decent too, especially the low sugar and weight control kinds. Steele cut oats take a bit longer to cook but you could make some ahead of time. Having oatmeal in the AM is clinically proven to reduce hunger in the afternoons too. BONUS! :drinker:

Nuts help to signal your body its getting fuller faster so those might be good to keep on hand too. About 12 almonds or 20 peanuts should do the trick.

You could also keep Zone bars on hand. They are the only ones I've found that don't actually taste like the protein bars they are. If you split them in half they are only about 150 calories and are WAAAYY more filling than those tiney little 100 calorie snack packs when it comes to late lunches!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the already-ready foods! I also like to have

*Thomas' 100% whole wheat MINI bagles
    *Hormel 70% less fat turkey pepperoni
    *fresh fruit and veggies to grab and munch!

So why aren't I skinny? ..............

oh... my hands are skinny 'cuz they get exercise on the 'puter!

You are not a pink elephant! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: But yous slure iz perdy!
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    I have a daycare..and have to make lunch for average of 10 kids per day. I have found I eat right after I get them all down for naps/quiet time. I toast one piece of bread, and add a piece of turkey to it. It keeps me full till dinner time.
    Having to care for a bunch of kids does keep ypu on your toes and out of the fridge..most of the time. Remember to drink your water too. That helps with feeling hungry and wanting to snack.