Hurts to sit down ...

Options
Does anyone else ever work out so hard that it hurts to sit down for a couple of days afterwards? I've done this over the weekend twice in a row now, and it sucks. I have a desk job, so I have to keep adjusting my posture. Has anyone else solved this problem by changing their routine? It's my tail bone area that's really painful with pressure, then it goes away after a few days.

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    haha I saw your title and my first thought was "someone did a bunch of squats"

The first good work out I had after not working out for a while left me in a vertical position - I didn't even want to try to go sit to pee. (One of those days I wished I was a boy...) It happens now and then when I really work out good.

It's just a matter of how sore you are...if it's really bad, you might want to go a bit easier on yourself. Otherwise, being a bit sore after a workout is common.

Drink your water too! Get the toxins out :)

EDIT:
    But I just reread your post, were you doing back work? I don't think I've ever had much pain around my tailbone. Could it be your sciatic nerve that you irritated?
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    what workout do you do
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    this happens to me when i ride the stationary bike at my gym that has no seat that touches my back!! i hate it!

also when i lift alot of weights

somehow i even end up crinking my neck alot. mainly on the left side. :c
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    what workout do you do

what does your pic say under your ticker?
    just curious
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

haha I thought" someone did a spin class that hasnt before"
    at least thats how i felt..for days after lol
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is a normal process after exercising it is called DOMS....delayed onset muscle soreness....not really anything you can do about it. They use to think stretching helps but does not seem to........... you can look it up......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
  • exercisechic927
    Options
    seems like more exercise can help the soreness also!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    It is a normal process after exercising it is called DOMS....delayed onset muscle soreness....not really anything you can do about it. They use to think stretching helps but does not seem to........... you can look it up......

My mom has to do back stretches after she works out otherwise she cant move the next day. She says it's a miracle what stretching can do..I havent really ever stretched before or after a workout so i wouldnt know lol
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

haha I thought" someone did a spin class that hasnt before"
    at least thats how i felt..for days after lol

Those seats scare me away from spinning...hahaha man it's funny what we put our bodies through!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I was thinking it might be the squats. I'm used to having muscle soreness, but this seems different. It's not where I expected it ... lol

I use the My Fitness Coach program for the Wii, and I've been upping the difficulty lately. She makes me do a lot of jumping around and squats and such. I've had knee problems before, and my shins don't like it much, but I can manage it so far. I'm of course very aware that if I hurt myself it'll really slow me down. I've had a similar issue after riding my bike for long periods, but I haven't done that in ages, so that's not it right now anyways.

And I'm very very bad about drinking water. I've only just succeeded in getting myself up to 5 or 6 glasses daily. Trying to go for 8 right away was just too much, I couldn't do it. Before tracking my water intake I think I usually drank only 1 or 2 glasses a day, if at all. It's not that I was filling that space up with soda all the time, either. I just don't drink much as a rule.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yea I pulled my back today! This weekend I did a new exercise and its killing my thighs... But from what I have been told its a good sign and to work through it minus the back thing I did that was pure stupidity and not properly stretching LOL
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I've been doing some moves called the Swim and Superman in addition to the squats - basically you lay on your stomach and move your opposite arms and legs up and down. This usually only wears out my arms and legs, although I do think it's supposed to subtly target the lower back area, since you're kind of balancing on your stomach.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I was thinking it might be the squats. I'm used to having muscle soreness, but this seems different. It's not where I expected it ... lol

I use the My Fitness Coach program for the Wii, and I've been upping the difficulty lately. She makes me do a lot of jumping around and squats and such. I've had knee problems before, and my shins don't like it much, but I can manage it so far. I'm of course very aware that if I hurt myself it'll really slow me down. I've had a similar issue after riding my bike for long periods, but I haven't done that in ages, so that's not it right now anyways.

And I'm very very bad about drinking water. I've only just succeeded in getting myself up to 5 or 6 glasses daily. Trying to go for 8 right away was just too much, I couldn't do it. Before tracking my water intake I think I usually drank only 1 or 2 glasses a day, if at all. It's not that I was filling that space up with soda all the time, either. I just don't drink much as a rule.

Do you have enough support in your shoes? Jumping around on a carpeted floor and not concrete/hard flooring? It could be an issue from the compression with jumping around...

As for the water, gotta drink it chica! Your body needs it. It'll help flush out the icky stuff your body produces from various cellular processes...and a host of other reasons that you can easily find on here. Especially after working out you'll want to replace the water you've sweated out and help release the toxins from your system. :) That's another topic that's covered extensively on MFP.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options

Do you have enough support in your shoes? Jumping around on a carpeted floor and not concrete/hard flooring? It could be an issue from the compression with jumping around...

As for the water, gotta drink it chica! Your body needs it. It'll help flush out the icky stuff your body produces from various cellular processes...and a host of other reasons that you can easily find on here. Especially after working out you'll want to replace the water you've sweated out and help release the toxins from your system. :) That's another topic that's covered extensively on MFP.

Carpeted floor, check, with a decent pad - I exercise barefoot. It could be something to do with that, because I've never exercised when I was this heavy before. I'm just barely coming down from my highest weight ever, and I can tell that, like I said, my knees and shins really hate that I'm moving around more. If it gets worse, then I'll probably have to leave out the high-impact bits of my workout until I weigh less. There is a lot I can still do without the up and down impacts.
  • exercisechic927
    Options

My mom has to do back stretches after she works out otherwise she cant move the next day. She says it's a miracle what stretching can do..I havent really ever stretched before or after a workout so i wouldnt know lol

Ya stretching is great for arthritis and is helpful. It seems that with DOMS that there will still be the delayed soreness later even with stretching....depends on what you are doing too....if you are doing a lot of strengthening or a new exercise there will be more soreness.
  • exercisechic927
    Options
    yes maybe less impact would be a good change.....no pain shooting down your legs or numbness and tingling right? Then that would be a concern for sure.....
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    yes maybe less impact would be a good change.....no pain shooting down your legs or numbness and tingling right? Then that would be a concern for sure.....

No, nothing that crazy. My husband has had a lot of trouble with shin-splint-type pain - someone told him he had many many tiny fractures in his lower leg bones from working them with too much running and jumping when he was heavy, though, so I do want to avoid that. When I start getting significant shin or knee pain I scale down immediately, and try to keep my heart rate up without the bouncing. One of my problems is that the program usually wants me to keep up my heart rate by moving my arms a lot with everything, and I have shoulder issues, too.

I used to tell people I was allergic to exercise ... :-D But mostly, I just historically overdo it and hurt myself when I'm not used to it. So I'm trying to behave myself.

Thanks for all the answers, guys, I really appreciate it.
  • MaryBeth1989
    Options
    I have! My trainer does that to me every time we meet!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling all too well..
    In my lower back to the right buttock cheek and down my right leg I have a serve pinched sciatic nerve. There are some days I can barely get out of the bed due to the pain it causes. but I push on but i dont over do it b/c I dont want to end up at the hospital from it either.
    I use to get lower lumber epidural injections but the cost got out of hand so I take advil around the clock.
    I searched online for exercises I could do to help stretch out before doing cardio or walking.