Cup Size and Confusion ...

Options
Hiya,

This might have been posted before but i cant see it anywhere but when im logging food in, i keep seeing "cup" size .... Just how big (or weight) is a cup size??

Becky
x

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    A cup is 8 fluid ounces, not necessarily the size of the glass you are drinking out of. :)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    depends on what your measuring. usually 8 oz though
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 240 ml = 8 floz
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Buy some measuring cups. The kind that are different sizes and all hooked together. measure everything you eat. Also if you put .50 in the box for servings you get 1/2 cup. A cup would be a level serving of the cup measuring cup, 1/2 will be the half cup 1/4 will be 1/4 Etc. I'm not sure if this is what you'reasking. 8 ounces of water will be one cup, 4 ounces a half cup.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    it refers to both liquid and dry measurements. A cup of liquid is equal to 8 fl. oz. and you should use a liquid measuring cup for that (one liquid measuring cup will usually hold about 2 cups)
    A cup of dry food will vary by weight, but use DRY measurement equipments for that. (available in 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 1 cup sets)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I like this site for conversions - really helps!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Most nutrition labels have both a volume (cup) measurement and a weight (scale) measurement on them. You want to actually weigh as much as you can, especially with calorie dense food items and this is why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Take a minute to watch the video. It can be a real eye opener.

A cup is a cup is a cup as far as volume goes: the difference is in the design. Wet measurement cups are usually glass or plastic with a pour spout and dry measurements are usually "scoops."
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Just know that the examples people posted here are fluid oz, not weight ounces. If you are looking for weight, it varies with everything you are measuring. Usually you can try a couple different database entries and find one in the measurement you are looking for. IE, grams mean nothing to me, but I do know what 4oz (weight) of steak looks like, and I can visualize 1 cup of diced chicken. I just pick different entries until there is a measurement i understand contextually. You can always create your own entry as well if you are a strict weigher and want to enter by weight, but can't find it in the database for that food.
  • bexywoza
    Options
    Oh thats great, thanks so much everyone... xx